Replacement drive recommendations - update please

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by sb12759, Jul 14, 2011.

1. sb12759

sb12759 New Member

May 1, 2007

Advertisements

I have a TivoHD purchased a little over 3 years ago. I think I need to replace the Hard drive. It has been acting up for a few months now (picture freezes, then have to change channel to unfreeze, or sometimes recorded programs are incomplete etc..) Been reading all the info and FAQs. Is there a updated current (July 2011) list of recommended replacement drives to replace the internal drive? The one in the FAQ seems very out of date! They all seem to be discontinued! I'm looking for just a 500gb or 1 tb drive. One that doesn't require any extra tweaking etc. One that I can just follow the instructions for a simple copy and replacement of the drive that are known to work fine!
    Any help would be appreciated but looking for a updated list of drives!

thanks

Steve

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    It's in the FAQ!

3. jbaum

jbaum Member

Jul 23, 2002
    I just replaced the original drive with a Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB. So far so good, but it has only been an hour.

4. sb12759

sb12759 New Member

May 1, 2007
    The FAQ seems out of date! They all seem to be discontinued or not available anymore! That's why I'm asking the question!
    jbaum - thanks! Did you have to do any special tweaking, like that whole "wdidle3 /D" stuff or just the normal procedure?

thanks!

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

I'm running 2 of those in one S2 DT and one in another, so far, so good, but I've got fans on each one 'cause they do get kinda hot.

Fixing to try out a used Caviar Green (10EACS) I just got to see how it compares.

6. jbaum

jbaum Member

Jul 23, 2002
    They say replacing the HD voids the warranty, I didn't see any obvious warranty seals, how do they know?

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Opening the box at all invalidates the warranty. They can see what drive you have in a log they can view. From posts I've seen here they have been pretty lenient about this however, especially if the problem you are having isn't likely to be caused by the HDD. Also, you should always save your original drive so you can swap it back in. Then after you connect to TiVo a few times, the record of the other drive will be further back in the log and they might not notice it. Saving the original drive also allows a swap test to diagnose whether problems you have are caused by the new drive failing.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    It's worth reading the last few pages of the Drive Expansion FAQ thread. That should update you on what drives are favored lately -- the tirst part of that thread definitely needs updating.

The sweet spot (best combination of price, ease of replacement and capacity) is 1 TB now. However, 2 TB is pretty close.

9. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Just a note, Tivos do not recognize any drive over 2TB (2TB is fine) so you want to avoid those. Oh, and so you can find it easier here is the drive expansion FAQ

10. sb12759

sb12759 New Member

May 1, 2007
    So further down in the FAQ it says:

"If you just bought a new Hitachi, Maxtor, or Western Digital hard drive, be sure to see Section IV, FAQ #32 for a tip on further reducing drive noise. Note this is unnecessary for the Western Digital WD10EVCS and WD10EVVS, which are already tuned for low noise operation."

So, if I wanted to keep it simple, the WD10EVVS 1tb might be good choice? And I see that it is still available! Anybody know if it comes with a SATA cable? Probably doesn't does it?
    So with this drive I should be able to just follow the internal upgrade instructions without doing any extra fancy stuff, right?

Thanks!

11. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    I believe there is a way to get those drives into a lower performance/noise mode. I am not sure if it is done with a software tool or a jumper.

12. Morfious

Morfious Happy Roamio user

Jun 3, 2007
    Bucks County PA
    HDDscan is a program that can change the acoustic characteristics of your hard drive. That is the program I used for my HD upgrade

http://hddscan.com/

13. section128drunk

section128drunk Member

May 6, 2007
    my WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS works great, and somebody on ebay has them for less than $60 with free shipping

14. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I really don't think it matters much which drive you use at this point. Any of the new low energy slower RPMed (5400 or 5900) work just fine.

I put a 2TB Seagate in my Premiere and a 2TB Hitachi in my TiVo HD.

If you are going to do it I would go all the way to 2TB. NewEgg has a Western Digital on sale for $70 shipped now:

Take a look at the links in my post for good instructions:

Good Luck,

15. Qwertinsky

Qwertinsky New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    I recently upgraded my Tivo-HD with this.

Western Digital AV-GP WD10EVDS Manufactured March 2011

Followed the "TiVo Internal Upgrade Instructions: Preserves Settings and Recordings" directions

Plus section 14. ran wdidle /D 3720 seconds (62.0 minutes)

Been over a month or so now and no problems.