Replacement Bolt+ will not connect to MoCA

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by neo_sapien, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. neo_sapien

neo_sapien Member

Dec 14, 2009
    I have Verizon FiOS and a gigabit connection, and a G1100 router.

A couple weeks ago, my old Bolt+ died (all lights were blinking, it wouldn't boot up), and TiVo sent me a new one. When I try running the guided setup with the ethernet cable disconnected, so that it will create a MoCA connection, it fails to connect over MoCA. I have to connect over ethernet.

With the Bolt+ connected over ethernet, I'm unable to get my 3 Minis to connect over MoCA. I can't tell all 3 of them to just connect over ethernet because my ethernet connection doesn't extend all the way down to the third.

The first time I tried setting up the Bolt+, I set it up as a MoCA client while it was connected to the ethernet cable, and then it took down my network. My network wouldn't work as long as it was plugged into ethernet.

I've pretty much spent all my time since yesterday morning (when the Bolt+ crashed my network and I didn't know why my internet was no longer working) either trying to figure out how to repair my network, or trying to figure out how to get the Bolt+ and the Minis to work with MoCA.

Help please.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Your G1100 gateway is establishing your MoCA network, so the BOLT+ and Minis should just be connecting as MoCA clients — but you first have to remove the Ethernet connection from the BOLT, else the BOLT will become a duplicate Ethernet/MoCA bridge and crash your network.

3. neo_sapien

neo_sapien Member

Dec 14, 2009
    I tried this. I disconnected the ethernet cable from the Bolt+, reran guided setup, tried to tell it to use MoCA, and it said it couldn't.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    At this point, my first recommendation(s) would be to:
    1) disconnect the Ethernet cable from the BOLT;
    2a) power off all your devices (G1100, any network switches, MoCA adapters, BOLT+ and Minis;
    2b) wait a minute...;
    2c) power up the G1100;
    3) with its Ethernet port disconnected, power up the BOLT+, and configure it as a MoCA client (MoCA :: Set Up as Client); you may first need to disable MoCA on the BOLT for the “Set Up as Client” option to be available;

(A full power reset has been seen to correct odd MoCA issues ... which you may now be facing owing to having created a dual MoCA bridge. In your case, though, I’m suggesting you try configuring the BOLT with just the gateway powered back on. The other devices can be brought online once the BOLT is again working as a MoCA client.)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    fcfc2 and neo_sapien like this.
  5. neo_sapien

neo_sapien Member

Dec 14, 2009
    You did it! Thank you, genius stranger! <3
    Bolt+ and all Minis are working now.

krkaufman likes this.