Replacement Bolt - Can't migrate my recordings

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by tommiet, Apr 29, 2019.

1. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    OK.. Got another Bolt to replace my "reboot when I want too" Bolt. Both are listed on my account and I was able to migrate my OnePass's from the old to the new. But I cannot get any of my recorded programs to transfer. No errors. I've updated and rebooted many times. Both are on the same wired network.
    Multiple calls to the TiVo "No help desk." What a waste of time...

Also tried TiVo Desktop - Access Denied trying to connect to my old bolt. Kmttg listed the recording, but I could not figure out how to move them to my pc.

2. KJN

KJN Member

Feb 24, 2019
    Boston area
    I had the exact same problem. It was my wireless signal. I was at 50% or so, which will let me move one passes, but not shows. I moved my router and changed the wireless channel,Bingo! 85%, Recordings moved.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Check your account. Maybe the old Bolt has been removed.

Try this program. Much better: pyTivo Desktop

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  4. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Both the Bolts are listed...... Tried pyTivo, and it finds both Bolts, but it does not find my recordings. Tried on 2 different computers.

Thanks for the reply.....

5. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Have you verified the MAK between the TiVo boxes? That's what "protects" the programs.

6. KJN

KJN Member

Feb 24, 2019
    Boston area
    Please post your wireless signal level.

7. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    He said they are wired

8. KJN

KJN Member

Feb 24, 2019
    Boston area
    Oops, I missed that. Just for grins, try transferring via wireless.

9. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Not sure how to validate the MAK... but they are both the same.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's good enough.

11. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    TiVo is now telling me that my new Bolt does not have the firmware needed to migrate my programs. Sounds like a bunch of BS. Told me it would take 2 business days to get the firmware updated.... Cable box is starting to look good..... lol.

12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Unless I missed it, to assist people here in offering suggestions:

1. Which OS: TE3 or TE4?
    2. How are you trying to transfer the shows: pyTivo (Desktop), TiVo Online, from within My Shows listings, ?
    3. What shows are you trying to transfer: OTA, cable, ?

13. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    TiVo is telling me that my boxes need a firmware update to allow me to migrate my programs. Was told it would take 2 business days. 3 days later I call and was told it would be another 3-5 business days as they need to update both Bolts. Maybe the internet connection to India is a little slower.

The only good part... My ReCast is working great. Bolt issues and my ReCast keeps on going.

14. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    What if I use an external drive? Could I move my programs to it and them move the drive to the new Bolt and see them? Could I move them back to the internal hard drive?

15. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Move your show to your computer using pytivo then back to 2nd TiVo.

16. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    No that's not possible with TiVo (the few external WD drives that would work get married to the internal drive and recordings split across them in TiVo format).

Scott

tommiet likes this.
  17. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    If Pytivo and the Bolt box would cooperate, that would work to get the shows off the Bolt box, but not back: TE4 does not support PC -> TiVo box transfers. :( To handle that, the new box could be sidegraded to TE3 before shows are put onto it (the sidegrading process will wipe shows on the box) and then the PC -> Bolt box transfers done, and then the box could be sidegraded back to TE4 if the OP wants that OS.

A likely inapplicable question for the OP: on my TE3 Bolt, I have a Network Remote Control setting under the Remote, CableCARD & Devices menu under Settings & Messages; it was either kmttg or PyTivo Desktop that wouldn't work for me until I set the setting to "Allowed." Do you have a similar setting under TE4 and have you set it?

Likewise, is Video sharing turned on for both your boxes at your TiVo account at TiVo.com (under Device preferences)?

Finally, by any chance are the shows that you are trying to transfer copy-protected? (Typically, OTA shows are not; cable can be, and some cable networks have been very "protective" in that regard, using the copy-protection setting wholesale.)

18. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Video sharing is enabled on both. I don't save a ton of stuff and can probably watch what I need over the weekend. More aggravated with TiVo for lack of support. Telling me 2 business days, then 3-5 to fix the issue is crazy........

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

19. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    TiVo must be sleeping with Apple.

20. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    TiVo should be so lucky! :p