Replaced HD Now Cable Channels do not come in.

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Lou Cetrangelo, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Lou Cetrangelo

Lou Cetrangelo Member

Nov 17, 2017

Advertisements

I have a Tivo bolt that originally came with a 500 gb drive. I replaced it with a Toshiba 3TB model: MQ03ABB300. It worked fine hooked up to an antenna. After almost 4 years the unit started showing channels with pixilation. I had the extended warranty. I put the old drive back in and did an exchange. They sent me a new 500gb unit that worked. I connected it up to a FIOS cable card and it was working great. I have the original 3 tb drive but I also bought a new one (same type). It was time to upgrade to the larger drive as I was running out of space. I installed the new one. It started up normally and all the channel info comes up but it does not display a picture on any channel. If I click on a channel I get the “searching for a signal on this channel V52” When I look at the cable signal strength it is zero.

I tried to do an activation on line and got to the end screen saying it is activated.

I rebooted several times.

I did the setup over again.

Is there something wrong with the drive?

Should I install my old 3tb drive?

After trying all the channels there are a hand full of channels that do work very well. None of the broadcast channels work and there are a few that are mildly pixilated.

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You'll need to call the provider and have them re-pair the card to the unit, if it's Verizon CH 131 will show if it's paired or not, but swapping drives will frequently result in a need to re-pair, the reason it shows as activated is that it was previously activated, you need to call the CableCARD hotline.

3. Lou Cetrangelo

Lou Cetrangelo Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Thanks for your reply. I knew that 131 was something special because the tech's have you tune to it but I did not know it didn't need to have the cable card paired to see it.

In any case that is one of the channels that does not come in at all Here is a list of channels that do come in. Most others do not come in at all.

600, 615, 619, 620*, 628, 631, 632, 645, 650, 657*, 658*, 659*, 663, 667, 669, 670*, 680, 690,
    * denotes pixelated.

I got a hold of a tech on the phone late last night. We went over some basic stuff and then paired the cable card again. There was no change. He offered to send a new cable card but I wanted to try and put the old drive back in. I also wanted to try it on OTA antenna.

When I sent my old one in to be exchanged it was doing similar things but the broadcast channels 502-513 were coming in but pixilated. The big difference is when on OTA antenna all but one channel was also pixelated. I just tried connecting to my antenna again and the reception is very good. I am now leaning toward replacing the cable card.

Lou

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    You're lucky they were willing to do the exchange.

You voided your warranty the moment you opened up the unit and the replacement of the drive is easily detectable by TiVo and likely some stats about the drive (e.g. model #, number of LBA blocks, drive serial number, etc.) are uploaded to TiVo as part of the logs. Such stats were visible in TiVo Series 1 logs when the backdoor code that let you access the logs worked.

5. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA

Advertisements

Perhaps the tech you got to pair the card didn’t un-pair it first. When pairing a card that has been paired previously, a necessary step is to un-pair it first. I always make sure they do that. Try calling again.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The backdoor:
    Clear
    Clear
    Enter
    Enter
    Still works on my Roamio with TE4. I can't tell if its contents have changed since the Series 1 however.

7. Lou Cetrangelo

Lou Cetrangelo Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Actually I did an advance replacement. I didn't know there was non volatile memory with a log that could be cleared.

On the phone all day with FIOS yesterday. A different Tech said acording to what he was going by it has to be a cabling problem. My cables are pristine. I used the compression type connectors. Anyhow he had me clean every connection point from the ONT to the Tivo (i used contact cleaner). Reboot and remove and replace the cable card several times. He also de-authorized and re-authorized the card several times. At the end he argued that he has to send someone out to look at the wireing. Finely i convinced him to send a cable card out first. Then if that doesn't fix it, check the wireing and put a verizon box in. If that works I'll send the tivo back for repair or replacement.

Right now its on OTA and working fine. There is really only a couple of channels we watch on cable most stuff we stream on Netflix Amazon and Hulu. I'm am very close to just going back to OTA antenna.

We are about 40 miles from NYC. I have a big directional Winegard antenna pointed between the empire state building and freedom tower. They are about 3° apart. The only issue is with storms is it will move a bit and its tough for me to fix because of the high peak on the roof.