Replaced Bolt HD, now TA doesn't work

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Buster, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Buster

Buster Member

Jul 17, 2002
    My Bolt's hard drive crapped out last week, so I just replaced it. Everything went fine, but now my tuning adapter doesn't work. I'm with Spectrum (former Charter area) using a Cisco TA. Spectrum tried sending hits and refreshing it, but to no avail.

I found the following on the TiVo troubleshooting site:

There is a known issue with certain Tuning Adapters that is triggered by specific channel map configurations. This issue becomes apparent when you connect the Tuning Adapter to a new or replacement TiVo DVR, which does not have an existing copy of a channel map stored on its hard disk. It can also happen on a TiVo DVR where the channel map copy is deleted from its hard disk by a Clear & Delete Everything command or by a software update that erases the copy. If you have this issue, contact your cable provider, or Contact TiVo Support, who can make your cable provider aware of the issue.

I tried contacting TiVo support, but they were unaware of this page or what this issue is. Does anyone know what this is, and what magic words I need to say to Spectrum to fix this?

Thanks!

2. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    What is the issue - does it show as not connected even when it is, does it show as connected but it doesn’t authorise, permanent 6 flashes on the power light?

You may be able to get a channel map loaded with the cable card but no TA, to make sure that part works at least.

3. Buster

Buster Member

Jul 17, 2002
    I have a solid light on the TA, but I am not getting any premium channels or any channels that require the TA because of switched digital. I do have a channel map on the TiVo.

4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I may be misremembering, but I think you have to re-pair the cable card when you change the HDD on a Bolt. If true, it is not your TA that is the problem, it is the CC.

Teeps likes this.
  5. lhvetinari

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    If I recall correctly, switching the drives would change the Data ID - a value only used by Motorola CCs - Cisco/SA cards only care about the Host ID and CC ID which don't change.

But if it was a CC issue he wouldn't get any channels at all, would he?

6. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    One can usually still get a lot of channels even if the CC is not paired.

7. lhvetinari

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    True, but Spectrum is notorious for locking down everything but locals and pub access

8. Buster

Buster Member

Jul 17, 2002
    I have repaired the cablecard, but now think the issue is not specific to the HD replacement, but rather a global issue on Spectrum's side, because BOTH of my Bolts with TAs are having issues. Both are showing as being in "B'Cast only" mode, which I understand to be the problem, but Spectrum won't acknowledge that this is a problem.

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    How did I know you were a Spectrum customer as soon as I saw “TA doesn’t work” in the thread title? :rolleyes: