Replace Seagate Freeagent Pro with new drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by l_emmerdeur, Aug 27, 2007.

1. l_emmerdeur

l_emmerdeur New Member

Jun 13, 2005
    NYC
    Hello,

I'm curious if this idea has any merit.

I've been using the 750Gb Freeagent Pro since the eSata method was first revealed. I have found that the reliability is less than optimal, probably because the drive runs very, very hot. I would like to yank the drive and go for a proper DB35/Antec MX-1 solution, but I have about 80 hours of content on my S3, most of which would be lost.

Is it possible to connect the Freeagent and the new drive to a PC and simply copy the contents to the new drive using the bumwine method? I assume if the new drive's contents are identical, it will accept it as the slaved eSata drive.

2. dtphonehome

dtphonehome Member

Dec 26, 2006
    I might want to do the same, as my Tivo is starting to act weird. Any idea what drive is in the FAP, and if it will be any good if in an Antec enclosure?

3. l_emmerdeur

l_emmerdeur New Member

Jun 13, 2005
    NYC
    I'm pretty sure it is a non-DB35 drive, as it is not certified for 24/7 operation. I plan to add the HD from the Freeagent to my desktop for media storage, as I was going to purchase a HD for it soon.

4. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I presume you could use WinMFS and do an MFSCopy and be fine, but haven't tried it. Join the WinMSF forum at mfslive.org and ask Spike ...

5. deeremj

deeremj New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Sparta, NJ, USA
    You can attach the FAP and new db35/mx1 to a pc, moot mfslive cd, and dd the FAP to db35/mx1...I did exactly this early on to get a quieter/cooler solution for my (wife's) s3 in the bedroom.

-mj

6. l_emmerdeur

l_emmerdeur New Member

Jun 13, 2005
    NYC
    Thanks! Much obliged!