Replace DVD Burner w/ Faster One?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by DaveLessnau, Oct 26, 2005.

1. DaveLessnau

DaveLessnau Love My TiVo!

Nov 10, 2000
    USA

Advertisements

Is it possible to replace the stock DVD burner on these TiVos with another one? If so, would there be any difference in performance?

2. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    I have not heard of anyone doing this yet.

3. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    No and no.

First, these aren't PCs, the TiVo software controls the firmware in the drive and has been written specifically for them. The firmware is upgraded periodically from the TiVo - putting in some other drive would be a bad move.

And there is no point - the drives in the Toshiba and Humax systems are 16x Pioneer DVR-108 drives that can do DVD-/+R/RW, including dual layer. It is the TiVo software that is limited to 4x and only DVD-R/RW single layer. The HW can already do more than the software can. Even the older Pioneer 801H/57H units have drives that support more than the software.

4. DaveLessnau

DaveLessnau Love My TiVo!

Nov 10, 2000
    USA
    OK. I had assumed TiVo had put the cheapest (i.e., limited) hardware available in the boxes and was using some standard Linux drivers. I had hoped that it would be possible to replace the drives and somehow include a new driver file. But, I guess that's not to be. Thanks.

5. maxplanar

maxplanar New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    LA, CA

Advertisements

Actually, you might be interested to know that the Humax DRT-400 I just bought about two weeks ago has a DVR-109.

6. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    I don't have one of these units, but have coworkers with them. If their drive "breaks" or someone tries to use it as a cupholder ;) can they just stick an off the shelf Pioneer DVD burner in there?

7. Stainless Steele

Stainless Steele Wake-Maker!

Feb 2, 2004
    Columbus, OH

Yes, but I'm not sure of the details. I have a freind with an 810 that the drive went bad on...he replaced the drive and it works again. I would assume he got the same drive that died or somethign close.

8. HeyGuy

HeyGuy Jersey Tivo

Jul 15, 2005
    New Jersey
    So, Humax DRT 800's have the power to burn dual layer, but tivo software denies it?

9. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    The physical drive can do dual-layer, yes. It isn't that it 'denies' it, like it is blocking it or something, it is that the TiVo software doesn't have support for it. Just like burning dual-layer on a PC doesn't work if your DVD burning software doesn't grok it, even if you have a dual-layer burner. TiVo would have to add software support to handle dual-layer media and formatting the data appropriately.

10. tab97

tab97 New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Huntsvile, AL
    So, does anyone know if Tivo will add support for higher speed and/or dual layer? I suspect that the high speed burning might be limited by the system hardware (cpu, i/o, etc). However, with dual layer you are just talking about a change in capacity. I'm not a dvd expert but it seems to me that dual layer should be doable. The additional capacity would be nice (once dual layer writeable dvds drop in price).

11. TomJHansen

TomJHansen Member

Nov 6, 2000
    Mesa, AZ, USA
    I suspect they will do it once the price drops on the media. Right now it's too expensive to even make a DL dvd with a PC (vs a SL dvd).

12. dgutley

dgutley New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Any update on the TIVO dual layer software issue?

13. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    No updates.

14. DennisTheMenace7

DennisTheMenace7 New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Any updates on putting a Dual Layer DVD burner in the Pioneer 810H?

Has anyone here ever replaced their DVD burner in this unit? If so, give details.

15. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    I think the unit in the Pioneer is already dual-layer capable, DVR-106 IIRC. The TiVo software does NOT support dual-layer burning, period. Doesn't matter what drive is in there. And the TiVo software also only supports 4x speeds, so you won't get any faster.

16. wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    If I upload to my PC and use the Sonic Solutions software and my PC dual layer burner, I should be able to use the dual layer for Tivo recorded programs that way. Right? If so, I will probably not replace the 57-H burner if it goes bad.

17. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Burning on your PC is totally independent of the TiVo, so whatever works in your PC works for TiVo content.

18. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    megazone,

The Pioneer TiVos have either a Pioneer DVR-A05 (DVR-105 equivalent) or a Pioneer DVR-A06 (DVR-106 equivalent). I've seen both, having opened quite a few of these babies.

Just FYI.