Replace drive in MY DVR EXPANDER?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by oViTynoT, Sep 30, 2008.

1. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Has anyone ever replaced the drive that comes in the 500GB My DVR Expander with a 1TB drive, thus making your own 1TB DVR Expander?

Yes, I know I can get a Antec MX1 for $50, but I'm just curious...

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If you are using it in a TiVo HD it will not work plug and play. You would have to use MFS tools to marry it. I believe the TiVo HD verifies the drive id to make sure it has a specific WD drive.

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    It's the drive that makes the MY DVR Expander work as "plug and play" with the TivoHD, not the case. The case has nothing to do with it.

4. Brooks99

Brooks99 New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    Richmond, Va.
    I have the discontinued Series 3 Tivo. Can I replace the 500 gb drive with a 1tb drive?

5. Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    The Series 3 doesn't care what drive you connect. If you connect an unsupported drive, it will warn you, and give you the choice to go ahead.

I have a S3 with a 1 Tb Hitachi drive in an Antec case connected and it's been rock solid.

6. fabianro

fabianro New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    USA
    Gregor,

I have a Series 3 Tivo and the hard drive on my 500GB WD My DVR Expander just died. I saw a post from you saying that Series 3 won't care if I replace it with a new 1GB drive. Is this still correct with current software versions?

Anything special I need to do to the drive for TiVo to be able to use it?

What is the maximum size I can add? Can I use a 2TB drive?

Thanks!

7. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    This is the thread to head over to since it's the definitive drive upgrade/expansion thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Not even weaKnees offers an expander drive larger than 1TB on a series 3. Only on a Premiere and you also have to install their 2TB internal.

9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    According to what is on their site yes, it is still true.