Repetitve Public Service commercials unwanted and exhausted

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by John Nokomis, May 25, 2018.

1. John Nokomis

John Nokomis Member

May 25, 2018
    I tried to resolve an issue I have with Frontier FIOS today requesting they do something to my cable card, reconfigure it or something as I have been receiving the same commercials from issues like colon cancer screening, pet adoption, no texting while driving, the cat that plays the piano and others.
    Frontier will not send a new card and informed me I would have to go to their quantum service and use their equipment and/or have no way of stopping these commercials which have been playing for years.
    I rent out three bedrooms in my house and have a need for a service to provide local channels and some cable. This is why the tivo mini's work perfectly. As I looked at alternatives today... shopping for OTA atenna's, looking at directv now, you tube tv, hulu but the limited user per account and some of their tv's are old and I don't know if those services are easy to use along with tivo ota.

Is there a way to do something to the cable card to get rid of the commercial loop to these commercials? If not, I fire Fios but I'm not sure the ota and switching back and forth to direct tv now and keeping tivo is worth it. any suggestions

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There is no way to get rid of commercials completely, its a part of TV for decades.
    Even YouTube has ads nowadays. Its mainly how we can get free TV. Tivo will not work with DirecTV.

About the only way is to record those shows and skip the commercials while watching.

3. John Nokomis

John Nokomis Member

May 25, 2018
    But if these same commercials repeated all of the time to all their customers, they would fix it. I think it is just related to a programmed to que that fills in blank spots. I'm guessing it's related to the cable card. I just won't record everything and use the skip function and I'm really sick of these commercials.

4. doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    I'm not aware of them doing this via the cable cards - for years, cable companies overlay their own ads over some percentage of the ads on the cable channel provider feeds. It's done at the head end and everyone on the same distribution feed gets the same local ads. Sounds to me like they just have a very small set of ads they are rotating.

John Nokomis likes this.
  5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    To completely get rid of commercials, just throw the TV out the window, along with everything else related.

MikeCC, kpeters59 and John Nokomis like this.
  6. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    LOL, I nominate this as the Noob Thread of the Year.

7. John Nokomis

John Nokomis Member

May 25, 2018
    Oh sh*t, and I still have the overlayed commercials. Maybe I should upload pictures of them.
    Someone in frontier could fix it but my little TiVo system receiving the same ads is my problem alone. Ah well, I liked live TV with TiVo and Frontier but I will address a solution

8. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    This issue has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Tivo or your CableCARD, they're feeding these same repetitive commercials to every single customer they have, yes, they're that simple minded.

9. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    These are on OTA stations? They aren’t allowed to do overlay on OTA stations.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Please don't. I bought a TiVo to avoid looking at commercials. :)

bobfrank likes this.
  11. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The OP said nothing that even resembled that.

12. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm not sure what the deal is with Frontier FiOS, but I have regular FiOS and under my account on the website, there is a section that allows me to opt-in or opt-out of targeted marketing/commercials. Now, I have always checked that box and I get a TON of PSAs and FiOS On Demand Ads. When I unchecked it once, just for ***** and giggles, I noticed a dramatic increase in local car dealer commercials, so I opted-out again and it soon went back to PSAs and On Demand ads. (That was with my TiVo cablecard and FiOS STB.) So if you have that option with your Frontier account, you might want to check it out.

13. doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    I have Verizon FiOS, and I can't find any such settings. There is a marketing section under Communication Preferences, but that's for email notices, etc.

14. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'll see if I can locate the page doconeill. It was pretty buried from what I recall, and I haven't changed the check box selection in a year or so.

15. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    Here it is. It's under "Manage TV Advertising Preferences."

IMG_1908.jpg

16. doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    Ah...had to find it under the "TV Management" page...they have so many different preference pages. Mine is "unchecked", and as far as I know I've never changed it.

17. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    He said he was shopping for OTA antennae as an alternative.

18. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Just record the shows and skip the commercials.

19. John Nokomis

John Nokomis Member

May 25, 2018
    Thank you for all your help. I was at first excited that could get rid of these specfic ad council commercials and raced to the Frontier online account. Then, I could not find it. I called "customer service" andthe guy informed me it cannot be domne with frontier as it's impossible. I told him it was possible with Verizon Fios (of which I was with until Verizon sold it to Frontier in Florida) and why it could not be. He tried an analogy to walmart and brands and I said that didn't apply and he muttered "f..ing idiot". I hung up. Well, I'm done for now and yes I will try to record and then watch and skip.

I have a very good rate and internet with them for 6 more months and, I will figure the best way forward.

Thanks again.