Repeatable Procedure for Getting Tivo Premier to Freeze

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by azmojo, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1 of 29
    azmojo

azmojo New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    I've had my Tivo Premier since it first came out and have suffered from the random freezes found on other posts. But I have stumbled upon a repeatable process that freezes Tivo every time. I'm wondering if this happens for others as well?

I have .mpg movie files on my home PC that I have linked to my Tivo through the Tivo Desktop software. On my Tivo, I browse the contents of my home PC and drill down to the directory with the .mpg file. I select the one I want, select transfer the video, and then on the next screen I am asked whether to keep browsing or to watch the video. I select continue browsing. I then located and highlight a SECOND video file to transfer. I select it to transfer and then I get the "Will Transfer Later" screen... press SELECT to continue. I hit SELECT and then it freezes. It will stay frozen for about 20 minutes, but I think that is related to the size of the files I am transferring.

This used to work fine, as I'd often queue up multiple files for transferring with no problems. I believe I've had this problem for several months but only recently did I try to see if I could duplicate it and it seems to do it EVERY time now.

Can anyone else duplicate this?

2. Feb 2, 2012 #2 of 29
    xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I don't think I can test this with just TIVO DESKTOP (the free download)..Don't you need TIVO DESKTOP PLUS ($25) to transfer video from your PC to the TIVO ?

I use pyTIVO. WMCBRINE's branch. Works great. I tried "pulling" videos over to my Premiere. I stacked up 4 in a row for transfer and my Premiere did not crash. The other day I "pushed" about 20 something videos from my PC to one of the TIVO Premieres. Initially that meant that the first one was transfering and there were about 19 in the que behind it. No problem.

I do a lot of transfer to my TIVO from my PC as I'm building a large library of home video on my TIVO. It's really wonderful to have all those "trip" videos on my TIVO (each trip in its own folder -- but that's another story) ..

3. Feb 2, 2012 #3 of 29
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    No. TD will transfer .TiVo and .mpg (i.e., MPEG-2 program streams) without registering it.

As I posted here, I'm also unable to reproduce this problem with pyTivo, although I'm skeptical that it's a TD vs. pyTivo issue. I guess I'll dig up TD to check...

4. Feb 2, 2012 #4 of 29
    azmojo

azmojo New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    I didn't see that other thread but Cavanaugh is seeing the same thing I am...

5. Feb 2, 2012 #5 of 29
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    My suggestion is to just use PyTivo and move on. It's much more stable than TD and can handle more types of files.

6. brianfuchs

brianfuchs New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    To the OP, I see this exact same issue on my Premiere - down to the letter. Hangs for about 20 minutes on this screen, while the TiVo otherwise behaves normally.

Does not happen if you transfer one program, wait till it finishes, then do another. Only happens if you try to stack a transfer in the To Do list. Personally, I don't think it has to do with the file size; I am transferring dinky 30 min programs. The transfer is over within a couple of minutes, but the hang lingers.

7. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    OK, I finally tried this with TiVo Desktop (2.8.2), and I can reproduce it there. Fascinating. I tested it with short files, and if I can go by the blue lights, both transfers have already completed -- but I'm still stuck on the "Will Transfer Later" screen. This only works if the first transfer is underway when I arrive at that screen.

Edit: The TiVo's built-in web server is still responding, and I can see the transferred programs in the NPL from there.

OK, it just timed out to live TV, so I made the mistake of using the left arrow to take me back to the WTL screen -- and I'm stuck again!

...and finally, I still can't get it to happen with pyTivo. Surprising!

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Are these "legit" .mpg files? i.e. is it something you originally got FROM the TiVo, or something the TiVo is SUPPOSED to support? If so, I'd suggest calling Tivo and explaining the problem.

9. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    I tested with a .TiVo file as the first file, and a TiVo-sourced .mpg as the second -- the same files in TD and pyTivo. As noted, the file transfers were actually successful.

There's no such thing as a file that the TiVo isn't supposed to support, anyway. TiVo Desktop Plus transcodes. If you don't have Plus, TD just won't send an incompatible file. It's not like it's trying to send an incompatible file without transcoding it, and that's messing up the TiVo. That doesn't happen.

10. zowwie85

zowwie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Why is that relevant? It's TiVo, not PoPo.

pyTivo works very well for me although its processor/disk intensive if Windows Media Center is busy recording at the same time.

11. brianfuchs

brianfuchs New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    For Tivo Desktop users, it seems that using the batch upload process (Publishing Video to your TiVo) seems to work fine. This is a fine alternative to trying to queue videos through the Now Playing list on your PC.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    It's relevant, because
    (1) if it's using a third party program, it could theoretically be doing something unsupported
    (2) I was also mostly asking if it was ripped DVDs or something that Tivos definitely don't legitimately support, even though lots of people are using them for that.

13. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    1. It's using TiVo Desktop. Did you read this thread at all before you posted?
    2. This is a purely technical issue. Are you imagining that the Premiere punishes you for trying to transfer a DVD rip by locking up? Or are you just warning a prospective caller to the TiVo help line not to mention teh piracy, lest they hang up? :rolleyes:

As it happens, DVD rips (and I mean in VOB format, decrypted but otherwise straight from the disc) are a near-perfect match for the TiVo, and can be sent to it without any reencoding. Not that it has anything to do with this thread, since as far as I can tell without extensive testing (and no, I'm not going to repeat a test that locks up my TiVo), the file type is completely irrelevant to this bug.

14. brianfuchs

brianfuchs New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    Re-quoting my own post...
    One interesting thing I am seeing:
    When uploading a video from the Tivo itself, the file is uploaded with no Copy Protect badge.
    When uploading from TivoDesktop, the exact same file gets a Copy Protect badge.

15. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Yes, it's always been that way.

16. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Ditto... I can duplicate the freezes...

17. Avi zevel

Avi zevel New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    I have the sane issue with my Elite.
    Logged a case with TIVO back in OCTOBER of 2011 (111017-002518) and they claim that they can not replicate the issue. The only difference between my system and theirs is that I run on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Can you guys (the ones with the problem) post if you are running a 32 bit or 64 bit system

18. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    32-bit XP. That's not it.

19. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    32 bit Linux Debian...

20. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    How do you run TiVo Desktop on that? Wine?