Repairing a TiVo with a DVD writer

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by robomeister, Jan 17, 2006.

1. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Hello all,

I am the owner of several Pioneer DVR-810H-S TiVos. Unfortuately, one of them has a DVD writer that is broken. The TiVo is out of warranty, so returning it for repair might be out of the question. And I've upgraded the harddrive (see sig below).

While upgrading the hard drive, I noticed that the DVD-RW drive is a Pioneer DVR-A05-XA. One of my other 810s has a Pioneer DVR-A06-XA. The firmware in the original drive is DVR-77h v1.31. So I thought I could get a Pioneer DVR-105 or a DVR-106 and put it in to the 810 and all would be well. I found a DVR-106D on eBay and installed it into the misbehaving DVR-810H-S. In testing the "new" writer, I found out that it could play DVDs, both pressed and burned, with no problems, but I can't burn anything. The firmware in the DVR-106 is v1.08.

Is there something special in the firmware of the DVD writers in the TiVo with DVD units? If so, is there a way to have the firmware of my "new" writer updated? Or a way to force a firmware update?

I've looked for tools to read the firmware out of the DVR-A05-XA, but nothing exists. I've tried looking for the DVR-77H firmware, but haven't found anything there either.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    You'll probably get a better response in the Underground Forum.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I read in another forum where people have just replaced the DVD writer in their DVD/HDD recorder with the PC version and it worked just fine. But, your mileage may vary.

This forum may help. http://club.cdfreaks.com/

4. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    ZikZak,

Thanks for the suggestion. As I was pressing the post button, I thought I should have put this into either the Upgrade or Underground forums.

Could one of the moderators please move this thread to the Upgrade or Underground forum? I don't care which. I want to avoid cross and double posting. Thanks.