Rent Live on FOX - 1/27/2019 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LoadStar, Jan 23, 2019.

1. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI

Advertisements

I knew that "Rent" was being done as the next live musical production for television, but somehow I missed that it was coming up so soon.

Based on what I've read, it sounds like they've taken some cues from the highly successful "Jesus Christ Superstar" broadcast over on NBC. What little they're saying about it sounds like it'll be more similar to the original Broadway production than the previous live musicals that were styled like old-school live television shows.

The only part I'm wondering about is how much they'll have to censor it. There are multiple places throughout Rent that are questionable whether they'd get past "standards and practices."

Mikeguy likes this.
  2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks for the shout-out reminder for this--I think that I've only seen a single television commercial for it thus far (perhaps I haven't been watching enough Fox television).

The final live performance of the original Broadway presentation of "Rent" also is preserved on DVD, in a multi-camera/angles/close-ups capture (and also is available on Amazon Prime Video), and has received good reviews. https://www.amazon.com/Rent-Filmed-...UTF8&qid=1548278653&sr=1-3&keywords=rent+live It will be interesting to see how the 2 versions compare, as well as with respect to the movie version with much of the original Broadway cast.

3. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm super psyched for this. Rent is one of my favorite musicals.

4. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Musically, it seems fine so far. Beyond the censoring, they seem to be changing a few words unnecessarily which makes me unhappy.

5. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
  6. amcanzo

amcanzo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Hockeytown...
    From Wikipedia: On January 26, 2019, during the Saturday dress rehearsal, Brennin Hunt, who plays Roger, broke his foot. Fox announced in an official statement that despite his injury, the show will go on as planned using pre-recorded footage from a previous dress rehearsal with only the finale airing live with the full cast and the original Broadway cast.[

And they announced it during the 1st commercial break

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The show started with a “previously recorded” graphic, so I wonder if they went exclusively with the dress rehearsal. I have it paused at the moment so I don’t know if they went live at some point.

8. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Big bummer, including for the cast. :(

9. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Is it my sound bar or are some of the vocals mixed too quietly?

lalouque likes this.
  10. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    They had no plans on broadcasting the dress, so I assume they had to rush mix it

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Maybe they did that live. ;)

12. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    It got very dusty during Angel's memorial.

13. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, the audio mix is pretty bad.

I'm still annoyed at some of the lyric/dialog changes... for instance, I have no idea why they had to change the spoken segment in "La Vie Boheme." Of anything, the one part that I wondered if they'd change was Mark's reference to sexual self-pleasure - and that was one of the parts they left alone. Go figure.

A little stunned they did "Contact" for this version, what with all the other censoring that they did.

I'm mostly OK with all the casting other than Valentina as Angel. S/he (apologies, I'm not sure what pronoun s/he prefers) is not a singer, not an actor, and is the weakest part of the cast.

(To be perfectly honest, I'm also having a little problem with the actor playing Mark Cohen. The character is Jewish, and to be honest, I'm not really getting that from the actor that they chose for that character.)

14. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I want to watch the movie again now.

15. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ugh, no thanks. I'll watch the "Live on Broadway" version instead. The movie version was... pretty bad.

16. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Wait, there's a live on broadway version? Off to google. I only like the movie because it's the original cast for the most part.

17. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    But the movie version preserved the OBC performances. For all its weaknesses, I appreciate it for that alone.

I am not hating this. The weird lyric changes are jarring, and I'm not feeling this Collins *at all*. But it's not nearly as bad as I feared.

Gunnyman likes this.
  18. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    It was a filming of the final cast on Broadway. (They compiled it from some of the final performances before the show closed, including the final curtain call.)

19. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The one part I miss the most is the original staging of "Seasons of Love" and "I'll Cover You (Reprise)." It's so iconic to the show that I'm frankly kind of surprised they took it out. (They even included that staging of it in the promos for this version, so they had to recognize that.)

20. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    22 years in, What You Own has emerged as my favorite track.

TriBruin likes this.