Renaming Video from Desktop

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Joe Siegler, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Jun 8, 2011 #1 of 11
    Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    Was wondering if there's a way to rename videos from my desktop so they show up in the right folders (or my own named folder) on the TiVo itself.

I looked around, and found this post, but it's five years old. Surely something has been come up with since then.

It'd be nice to be able to add a .tivo file for video I already have, giving it a program name, episode number, etc.. Anything like this exist?

2. Jun 8, 2011 #2 of 11
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    pyTiVo has the ability to assign metadata to regular .mpg files via a secondary .txt file with the same name. There is even a cool program called MetaGenerator which will find the program in an internet database and create the .txt file for you.

However the normal grouping rules still apply. On S2/S3 units the show has to be available somewhere in the guide or the program will not group. On Premiere units they seem to have fixed this.

Dan

3. Jun 8, 2011 #3 of 11
    Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    pyTiVo appears to be a server program. I already run Desktop, so do I really need that to generate/transfer the relevant text file?

4. Jun 8, 2011 #4 of 11
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you are using the Tivo Desktop program, you can create sub-folders in the My TiVo Recordings folder, and sort shows into them (example, I've got a PBS folder with folders in it, such as NOVA, with various NOVA episodes in it), and when you go into the TiVo's Now Playing list and go down to the bottom to the folder with the name of the computer, those folders show up inside that folder.

I can change the file name on the computer for individual shows (for example, if Charlie Rose doesn't get the info out in time on who the guests that night are, or changes at the last minute because somebody died or something, I can change the name on the computer file to include who the guests really were), but the change do not show up when viewed in the Now Playing list's folder of what's on the computer.

Doesn't keep it from playing or being able to be copied back to that or other TiVo's on my account and network.

As for a video file that did not originate on a TiVo, I haven't played around with that yet.

5. Jun 8, 2011 #5 of 11
    Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    I knew about that, but when I transfer them to my TiVo, that info is lost. The folder stuff is what I'm looking to preserve.

6. Jun 8, 2011 #6 of 11
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Apparently stuff only gets folderized on the TiVo itself if there are more episodes of it in the guide data, i.e., going to be aired within the next week or three.

7. Jun 9, 2011 #7 of 11
    jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    pytivo replaces tivo desktop and adds this along with many other capabilities. There are no file management tools for tivo directly. Files can only be grouped when added to the tivo.

8. Jun 9, 2011 #8 of 11
    Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    When I went to download that, I saw something that said that the Windows installer is out of date? Am I reading that right?

9. Jun 9, 2011 #9 of 11
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Yes. You don't need it.

10. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    See the link in my sig for complete setup instructions. You do not need a windows specific installer.

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    pyTiVo can be a bit of a PITA to setup, but once you get it running it's pretty low maintenance. Especially if you just use it to transfer recordings with custom metadata and don't care about the other features.

Dan