Rename Boxes- how to force propagate?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MichaelK, Jan 22, 2012.

1. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    I recently bought a couple premiers so I moved one of my S3's to the basement for the kids. So I renamed the box on tivo.com from 'living room' to 'basement' and on the website all is well.

I forced connections on all the boxes and the S3 took the name change right away.

But it's been several days (so several daily connections) and the premiers still identify the S3 with the old name in the my programs list.

Also- the android and ipad apps must be getting their information from the same place because they too see the old name when connecting on wifi. (If i use the apps through tivo.com then the correct name is used....). I reset the android app's settings, even installed on a new device, still nothing works.

Does it just take time? Is there a way to force the name change to propagate to the other devices.

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    You could try restarting all of the Tivos at the same time. Sometimes this works, sometimes not.

What worked for me once with a name change that wouldn't take, was changing all Tivos to not allow transfers. That in itself takes some time to get updated in the tivo system, so after about a half day, I forced a connection on each tivo so that they knew that they don't allow transfers and then I changed all settings back to allow transfers and again, waiting a half day before forcing a connection on each of the tivos.

3. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I found that I had to reboot my S3HD after I changed its name to get it to propagate to the other Tivo and to the desktop software. Had the same issue where it knew who it was but no one else on the network did.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    sounds like i need to reboot (them all...) when i have a time when they are all idle. Too late this evening.

thanks
    Mike

5. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Yeah, I had the same problem when I moved my 2 tivos, a Reboot cured it.

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    Rebooting all at once worked. Thanks