REMOVE the TIVO ADS!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ddrultramix, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Jan 2, 2006 #1 of 25
    ddrultramix

ddrultramix New Member

Dec 23, 2005
    How rude to get adds put on our menu of Tivo! Is it in the fine print some where that Tivo says they can do this? If not, its court time. Any way to remove them?

2. Jan 2, 2006 #2 of 25
    OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    Just use duct tape to cover the ofending section of the screen.

Otherwise IGNORE the adds.

Also SEARCH the forums to find litterally 100s of threads about the non-intrusive adds on TiVo central.

3. Jan 2, 2006 #3 of 25
    MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Where do you see these ads? All I see is a little star with some text.... ;)

Gimme a break. :rolleyes:

4. Jan 2, 2006 #4 of 25
    mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    Ah yes, start the new year off with the threat of a class action lawsuit (the usual whine of losers world wide).:rolleyes:

You made how many posts before you started something this moronic?

5. Jan 2, 2006 #5 of 25
    audiocrawford

audiocrawford New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Non-intrusive?

I wouldn't exactly call appearing and disapearing ads in different places in the main menu of a consumer entertainment product "non-intrusive".

AC

6. Jan 2, 2006 #6 of 25
    timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO

I would call it "non-intrusive" because I can ignore them if I want. Tivo does not force me to watch them. Most of the time, lately, I have not bothered with any of them. They used to be better, but now, not much so.

7. Jan 2, 2006 #7 of 25
    BigHat

BigHat Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Arlington VA
    In the overall scope of world problems I rank Tivo ads very low. I actually have watched the car ads and have enjoyed them.

What do we know about these ads. Are they linked to the shows we watch or record.

Again, I couldn't care less about these ads AS TIVO uses them now. I hope it doesn't get out of control though.

8. Jan 2, 2006 #8 of 25
    bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    The one about "riding in the car, car"...Nissan, I think? I enjoyed that one.

I don't linger at the main menu screen. To me, it's a jumping off point. I'm usually heading somewhere and I know if I hit the TiVo button twice, it takes me to "Now Playing". I'll glance at the Yellow Star and check it out if it's something that interests me. The main screen is sort of like a door mat to me, I wipe my feet when I come home, but I don't stand there staring at it, I head inside.

BigHat has it right. Unless TiVo forces me to watch it, it's not much of an issue.

9. Jan 2, 2006 #9 of 25
    ddrultramix

ddrultramix New Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Let's put it this way. It's nice to have ads on my Tivo or It's nice not to have ads on my Tivo. So you guys want these ads. I'm disapointed and ashamed of your silliness. The ad industry has gotten to you.

10. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    Knee-jerk tantrums are far more annoying than ads.

11. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    We just don't think it's that big of a deal. I'll go along with it as long as it keeps Tivo in Business. and like the guys said "Just don't read them". The problem with our country is everyone is too lazy to work so they find a way to sue.
    Kill all the Lawyers :D

12. audiocrawford

audiocrawford New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    My only real beef is that they rotate position. If there was always one in the middle, and always one at the end, it's much easier to deal with. Unfortunately, sometimes there is only one in the middle, or vice versa, and very occasionally none at all. It's just consistency for me - I like to know where the UI is going to be when I'm going for it. Same with my PC - those windows features that hide "unused" links in menus drive me batty. I just like to know what the menu is going to look like before it loads.

Just my personal OCD, LOL.

AC

13. ddrultramix

ddrultramix New Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Everyone, we all know it. It's just nice to have NO ads at all.

14. fanaticman13

fanaticman13 New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    I don't think many would disagree with this point, but keep in mind advertisements typically keep costs down for the consumer.

How about a compromise? Would you be willing to drop all adds out of your personal Tivo and in return pay $100/month to Tivo? Me.....? I'll take the few adds within Tivo that I can simply ignore.

15. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    IMHO, it is only an ad if you watch it. :D

And, this has been on TiVos since day 1.

It is also another revenue stream for TiVo, which helps keep their costs down.

It isn't any more intrusive than placement ads in a movie. Probably less so.

16. ddrultramix

ddrultramix New Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I would Definitley rather pay $100 a month than to see those ads.

17. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I'm sure if you called up TiVo and offered this, they would gladly find a way to give you no ads

18. bv1187

bv1187 CableHater

Apr 16, 2004
    Rochester, MN

I here ya :D :D :D

19. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I'm disapointed and ashamed of your silliness.

20. Trotski

Trotski New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    If you want to get upset about ads, rent a DVD or worse still, buy one and then you'll see an intrusive ad. Everytime you start up the DVD the ad will play and worst of all is that you can't fast forward through it or simply skip it altogether. Now THAT'S an intrusive ad. The little menu blurbs on TiVo Central are hardly intrusive by comparison.

I agree with what others have written. This is silly. This is the same type of person who is upset that there is offensive material on television or the radio. If you don't want to watch or listen to it, simply switch to one of your other 400+ channels or radio stations. Better still, go surf the internet or play a game of Monopoly with your children for a change, but don't complain and make it so others can't enjoy something because you don't like it.

I think the relatively unobtrusive ads that TiVo supplies are a fair bargain considering that they gave us wonderful ad-killing features like the 30-second skip, time-shifting and the good 'ol fast-forward button.

I actually kinda like reading those ad lines because when I see them I know that TiVo at least has some revenue coming in to stay alive. Lord knows the ad agencies and the networks want more than anything to get rid of TiVos because they freed us from the hell of watching 20 minutes of ads for each hour of prime-time programming.