Remove Commercials?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by cmcfalls, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Sep 5, 2007 #1 of 61
    cmcfalls

cmcfalls New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    What is a good program to remove commercials from a tivo file? I am putting shows from my tivo onto my Ipod but i want to remove the commercials to keep the file size down. Any suggestions?

2. Sep 5, 2007 #2 of 61
    N2DEEP

N2DEEP Rocky Rooooad

Dec 21, 2004
    San Diego,...
  3. Sep 5, 2007 #3 of 61
    jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    /\ agreed - Video Redo is what you want.

4. Sep 6, 2007 #4 of 61
    cmcfalls

cmcfalls New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    I like VidroRedo, but it's $50. I don't know that removing commercials is really worth $50. Are there any free programs? BTW, I prefer the term frugal to cheap.

I used to use TVHarmony Autopilot but it doesn't seem to work well with Vista (which I have now) and I can't get in contact with the developer. It squishes my videos and the comskip feature keeps crapping out on me while processing the shows.

5. Sep 6, 2007 #5 of 61
    jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    Free: http://devices.natetrue.com/cbreak/

Not sure if .tivo files are supported and program looks difficult to use. Everything is free in torrent-ville ;)

6. Sep 6, 2007 #6 of 61
    jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    I also found this program called ChunkEdit -
    ChunkEdit

None of the free methods seem that easay to use.

IN the URL replace *********** with
    deal data base
    (remove spaces)

I guess they don't like links to that site. Google ChunkEdit if you can't figure it out.

7. Sep 6, 2007 #7 of 61
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I use TyTools. Despite being made for old (non discussable) extraction methods, it works well for me and .tivo files that have been run through DSD.

8. Sep 7, 2007 #8 of 61
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Hey now! VideoReDo is well worth the $50.

Dan

P.S. Did I mention I work as a developer for VideoReDo? :)

9. Sep 7, 2007 #9 of 61
    jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    No stealing!!!!
    Support Dan and his family: VideoRedo is definitely worth the $50!!!

Nice work, that program rocks. I purchased my copy :), no wait scratch that, the company that i work for paid for my copy:

Name:John *********

Key:********* (yeah right)

We thank you for your purchase and we hope you enjoy using VideoReDo Plus. Please check our website and discussion group at http://forums.videoredo.com for information about new releases and tips on how to maximize your VideoReDo experience.

If you have any questions about your order please contact us at:.

Please refer to the following PayPal transaction information:

Name: John *********
    Email: *********
    Amount: 49.99

Thanks again for your registration, VideoReDo.

10. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    Yup, VideoReDo, the way to go. I use it in conjunction with TiVo, MCE, Zen and PSP. Manual Mode only, since the 'Ad Detective' occasionally misses the start point coming out of a commercial. Great for Marathons or Mini Series, commercial free to DVD.

11. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Try editing something with Windows Movie Maker and then edit with VideoRedo.
    Once you do that, you'll easily fork over the 50 bucks. :D

12. jdekoven

jdekoven New Member

Sep 14, 2007
    okay so I finally made "the switch" from PC to mac, but now I'm finding my favorit editing tools are not available. First off just to "transfer" video I had to purchase Roxio. For the PC the software was free. Roxio WILL NOT let you do any editing to the video at all. I had purchased video redo for my PC, but I don't see there is a version for mac. Is there anything similiar for mac? Or do I now need to go back to my PC?

13. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    +1 to VideoRedo. Great product and great support team.

Hi Dan!

14. Puppy76

Puppy76 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2004
    I'm just sort of curious-why would you want to remove commercials from something you're only going to watch once? It seems like a lot of hastle to mess with. (Even for stuff I'm archiving I might leave commercials just since they end up pretty interesting to see in 10 or 20 years!)

15. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    IMO, VideoRedo takes the "hassle" out of the equation. It's that easy. :cool:

(Where's my check, Dan?) :D

16. jdekoven

jdekoven New Member

Sep 14, 2007
    okay so we all know that Video Redo is awesome, but what about FOR MAC??? Does anyone have a suggestion for how to deal with that as in my earlier questions.

John

17. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    Unfortunately, there isn't any Mac software for this. I wish there was...
    (An alternate solution is to save to a DVD recorder and use the recorder's A/B erase function to cut out commercials.)

18. blah238

blah238 New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    well I'm trying to figure out how to automate directshow dump, comskip and then something to cut out the commercials... anyone have a step by step? I've got about 30GB of Walker Texas Ranger I need to cut down to size :D

19. joshposh

joshposh New Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Roxio has Toast... that might work?

20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    VideoReDo also has an automatic commercial detection feature. It's not automated enough to allow you point it a an entire folder of videos and have it do it all automatically. But you can load a video, scan for the commercials, verify the cuts and output an edited video in 3-5 minutes so it wouldn't take too long.

Dan