remove 30 sec skip from zipper

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by necrolop, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Oct 8, 2006 #1 of 23
    necrolop

necrolop New Member

Oct 5, 2006

Advertisements

I hate the 30 sec skip, cause with it, there is no way to skip to the begenning or end of a program, now that button moves me 30 secs ahead, which i dont find usefull. ANyway to turn it off with the zipper?

Thanks!

2. Oct 9, 2006 #2 of 23
    Ackbar

Ackbar New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Greater...
    Actually you can still easily move to the beginning or end. If you hit FF once and then the 30-sec skip button (I forget what that button is actuall called) it will advance you in whatever increments are on your time line. I'm not a huge fan of 30-sec skip, but I do like it enough that I haven't bothered to look for the way to disable it. I imagine someone will be able to easily answer your question. But I just wanted to point out that you can still move around in large jumps on the time line as long as you are in FF or RW mode.

3. Oct 9, 2006 #3 of 23
    Ackbar

Ackbar New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Greater...
    Sorry I should have thought before that last post. There is an easy way to disable it. On your remote just press the following sequence of buttons:

select
    play
    select
    select

That will turn it off. If you want it back on you can do the same sequence. You have to be watching live tv to do this I think.

I forgot about that because in the past I never used 30-second skip until I zippered. Since then I've been more or less getting used to it. But it is that simple to turn off and on. Good luck.

4. Oct 9, 2006 #4 of 23
    necrolop

necrolop New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    thanks!

5. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida

Advertisements

The only problem is that that will only disable it until the next time the dtivo reboots (2x/week). The 30 sec skip is enabled by superpatch, so the next reboot it will be back. I am not aware of any mods to superpatch to disable it, but it should be able to be done. You might want to check at the other site and ask in the newbie forum.

6. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    I imagine you could find out what the old value was and edit the tivoapp to put back the original value for that one. Definitely search over at DDB.

7. SteelersFan

SteelersFan "On Welfare"

Sep 6, 2004
    Saugus, CA
    Check the superpatch 67 thread linked from the Zipper site. There are instructions for removing this in the first post. Be sure to edit the file in a *nix friendly editor. Also make sure you find the array for your sw version.

8. Nov 5, 2006 #8 of 23
    bnm81002

bnm81002 New Member

Oct 2, 2004

I read the thread and have no idea where it states any instructions on how to remove the 30 second skip? help please, thanks

9. Nov 5, 2006 #9 of 23
    SteelersFan

SteelersFan "On Welfare"

Sep 6, 2004
    Saugus, CA
    From the first post in that thread:
    Code:
    CUSTOMIZATION

I've included 2 non-HMO/MRV related patches: 
    30-second skip and backdoors.

You may remove these patches prior to running 
    superpatch-67all by deleting them. The patches 
    are on their own line at the beginning of each 
    respective array.

10. bnm81002

bnm81002 New Member

Oct 2, 2004

my apologies for not seeing that, maybe next time I should read something that is not close to 1AM in the morning :eek:
    so sorry my man

PS-is there a way to remove the patch after I did the zipper or do I have to rezipper again? thanks

11. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    If there is a backup of tivoapp in your /tvbin directory, you could backup the current one and then restore the other backup.

12. bnm81002

bnm81002 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    actually, I found out a way to go to the end of a program or recording, press either the RW or FF button once then the advance button and it goes either to the beginning or the ending of the program depending upon if you press the RW or FF button :p
    so at least for me there is no need to remove the 30 second skip

13. bman12

bman12 New Member

Sep 7, 2003
    Is there a way to move forward or backward tick by tick within the buffer (not on recorded stuff). It would be most helpful rather than just go straight to the end or beginning. For those of us who have a longer buffer having this option would save from long FF or RW.

14. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Sure, press FF or RW then press the advance button.

15. bman12

bman12 New Member

Sep 7, 2003
    That works on recorded things, not when using the buffer while watching live. Even on recorded things the RW, advance will take you back to the beginning and not tick by tick.

16. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    That's not right. I just went in and double checked on a recorded show. Push the RW button and then the advance - it does it tick by tick. ;)

17. bman12

bman12 New Member

Sep 7, 2003
    I stand (sit on my couch) corrected. :eek:
    But, to my original issue....is there a way to move tick by tick through the buffer while watching live?

18. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    According to my manual, its the default behavior (Not 30 sec skip backdooor) of the advance button when watching live TV.

Correction The non 30 skip behavior is:

a) when watch live tv catches you up to current time.
    b) when ff/rew in a recorded program tacks you to the next/previos tick.
    c) if you are watching a recorded program takes you to the end, press again taskes you to the begining.

So for live programing your choices for the advance button are either jump to the current time (Not backdoored) or 30 sec skip. (backdoored).

19. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    The Zipper program should have made a backup of your original unpatched tivoapp file. You can restore it by renaming the current tivoapp file to something like tivoapp.hacked and then renaming the backup tivoapp file to tivoapp and rebooting. This will restore the stock tivoapp image but you can then use the superpatch script to reapply the patches. IIRC, the superpatch script does not include the 30-second skip but it will disable encryption and enable MRV and HMO, among other things.

20. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Superpatch DOES PERMANENTLY ENABLE 30 sec skip by default, but you can change that. go over to DDB to the superpatch thread and read about customizations.