Remotes just started sucking

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by eaadams, Apr 9, 2020.

1. eaadams

eaadams Member

Apr 25, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Both our remotes just started having a very hard time. I switched out batteries but can anyone give me any tips? Not like you can re-sync them can you? Not sure what caused them both (we have his and her remotes) to go wonky at same time. Any ideas appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2. pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    If your Tivo is within a couple feet of your WiFi router it can reduce the range of the remotes in RF mode (yellow LED).

When I installed my Bolt next to my router the remote range was terrible.... like maybe 10 feet of reliable range. As soon as I moved the Bolt away from the router the range increased to 30 feet or more of reliable response.

I'm not sure if there is any interaction between the remote RF receiver and the internal WiFi but you could also try plugging the Tivo into the router via Ethernet cable (which shuts off the internal WiFi).

Paul

3. eaadams

eaadams Member

Apr 25, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    When the remote led is yellow that is rf? What is the red? Hmmm.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Have you checked the pairing of your remotes (needed for RF use versus IR). Sounds like you are using IR which is much more limited.

Scott

5. eaadams

eaadams Member

Apr 25, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Scott that was it! Thank you so so so much. Full re pair and works so much better

HerronScott likes this.
  6. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I once had a Mini tucked in behind an older LCD set, and the remotes were a nightmare to use. They didn't work, or they doubled up on commands so a PgDn would scroll three pages down, etc. Apparently, the LCD screen was generating a TON of interference. Once I moved the Mini off to the side of the set, everything worked fine.

I also have some issues with the remote on the main Roamio - it refuses to stay in RF mode. I finally figured out it was getting interference from a T-Mobile mini-cell I have installed in the same room. I can't move that, so I just put up with using IR mode.