Remotely accessing my tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by nate9936, Aug 22, 2011.

1. nate9936

nate9936 New Member

Aug 22, 2011

Advertisements

I am leaving for college and will be completely across the country from my house but I still want to be able to use/watch the tivo box and recordings my old house. How can I access that tivo premier from my MacBook Pro remotely to be able to watch and still record shows?

2. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Slingbox

3. StanSimmons

StanSimmons Senior Moment Member

Jun 10, 2000
    Flower...
  4. erikg

erikg Member

Aug 20, 2007
    You could pick up a Cisco ASA or similar sonic wall firewall for your home that supports remote access VPN. You would then just use an IPSEC VPN tunnel to your old home and obtain a local IP via DHCP for the laptop using the built in client.

You could then use whatever software you want to pull the videos to your lapop. Look at a Cisco ASA or similiar device maybe something with a gui. Though a slingbox would be easier.

5. nate9936

nate9936 New Member

Aug 22, 2011

Advertisements

hmm thank you very much! the slingbox seems to be the easiest. Now I was told that the software Roxio Toast Titanium would also allow for the same thing...is that true? I can't figure out how that would work...

6. AudioNutz

AudioNutz Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I use a Mac server running kmttg for this, along with FTP services to d/l the shows after they are auto processed, and comcut.