Remote won't turn off A/V reciever like newsletter tip says

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Sleestak, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Sleestak

Sleestak Lizzard Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Land of the...
    From latest Tivo News:

From TiVo Central, go to Messages and Settings > Settings > Remote and Device Settings > Remote Control
    Complete Part 1 to control TV on/off, power & volume.
    Complete Part 2 to control A/V volume and mute.
    Follow the on-screen instructions to program the volume and mute. When you get the successful code, write it down.
    Still on the same screen, hold down the TiVo button and the
    Power button for five seconds, like you did on the Part 1 screen.
    Enter the code you wrote down in step 4.
    Press the power button. It should turn off both the TV and the A/V receiver.

Everything works, until I try to turn on/off AV receiver. It mutes and changes volume, turns off TV, but not the A/V. What could I be doing wrong? It's not clear which power button to hold, so i tried both. Tried all codes.

Sony SVR3000, Sony A/V reciever.
    Thanks in advance

2. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Do you have an S3? I have a S3 TiVo and had problems getting my Sony A/V unit to work with the TiVo remote. The S3 has a learning remote, so I taught it to control the A/V unit. I followed the instructions in the manual to get it to learn the A/V on/off code.

Try doing one step at a time. Do the setup to control the TV… test and verify. Then do the setup of the A/V unit… Test and verify.

Good luck.

3. Sleestak

Sleestak Lizzard Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Land of the...
    It's an S2, SVR-3000.
    I did one step at a time and checked, all works except the AV Power.

Right now I just use the tivo remote to power off TV, and mute the AV and leave it on.
    I don't think I can hit the tivo power button...i think it puts it in some sort of standby mode in which it can't record...?

4. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    Because the sony remote has learning feature there might be taught command superseding the preset command. Reset the remote:

1. press and hold TIVO & TV POWER until the light remains
    2. enter 0 9 8 1

Now retry programming:

1. press and hold TIVO & TV POWER, enter the tv code
    2. press and hold TIVO & MUTE, enter audio receiver code
    3. press and hold TIVO & TV POWER, enter audio receiver code again

5. Sleestak

Sleestak Lizzard Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Land of the...
    I tried that, and now the A/V muting and vol don't work either. It's now trying to mute or vol the TV set.

edit: never mind, i got it...had to go to a different code for the A/V power to work,
    Thanks!!

6. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    Which Sony AV Receiver are you using? I am trying to find codes for the STR-DA3300ES. I was able to teach my S3 learning remote codes for volume and mute. However, it won't learn AV Receiver power on/off in combination with the TV power on/of on the same button. It will do either/or, but not both.

7. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    If your sony receiver is set to the factory defaut codeset, AV2, then there isn't a code in any tivo remotes. Thats why sony SA and S3 tivo remote's learning feature comes in handy.

So if you want to use the preset codes, you have to change the codeset that your sony receiver responds to, from AV2 to AV1, see this thread:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-sony/thread.cgi?4020

8. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    You are exactly right. I later found a reference to the AV1 and AV2 code set. I changed my configuration to AV1 and now all is well.