Remote Viewing

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by tommiet, Aug 11, 2016.

1. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    I do travel and liked my Dish receiver with a built in Slingbox. Worked fine. Like others, did not like the high cost of Dish Network. So I moved back to cable and Tivo.

BOLT Remote Viewing Cons

• Records all – and many cases does NOT delete the recording when done
    • 20 second delay to start – not a biggie… but no other remote devices do this
    • BUFFERING ALL THE TIME – This is a biggie

BOLT Remote Viewing Pros

• None

MY NETWORK:
    Speedtest.net ----- 61 Mbps download 4.75 up.

What I have tried….
    • Manually adding the ports to my router
    • Connect my BOLT directly to my router
    • Adding it to the DMZ Zone (bypassing any port issues)
    • Also tried adding it to the “media prioritization” (QOS) on my new Linksys router.

FIX:
    Purchased a Slingbox. Accepted default settings for my network.

TESTING PROCESS
    Using my phone…
    From a remote, good Wi-Fi network, I connected to my BOLT and selected a live TV channel. It opened and started and the buffering started. Plays for a few seconds.. Buffers for a few, plays for a few, buffers for a few. On and on…
    CLOSE out of the TIVO app
    Launch my Slingbox app on same phone and network
    Selected the same live TV channel… works fine, ZERO buffering.

Comments...
    The Slingbox is not perfect. They added adds to the bottom of the screen. Easy to remove via your host file in Windows. But its way above what I can get TIVO to do.

If I missed anything to get the TIVO to stop buffering, please chime in.

Thanks!!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If the Bolt is on the WiFi to the router/internet, its not enough of the bandwidth to prevent the buffering.

Remove Qos.

3. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Tried both... with and without. Same buffering issue. Also reset my router to the default settings... Still no joy.

I also test from home by running my phone in airline mode (Wi-Fi only.) Same issue. Seems the TIVO needs more bandwidth than the Slingbox.

Thanks for responding... The Slingbox I have is a friends on loan.. Even if I get my Tivo to work, I'll probably end up buying one as I can use a computer to access my TV too.

4. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    You didn't miss anything. Slingbox simply kicks TiVo streaming's azz! They've been doing it much longer and have much better network streaming adaptability built in. I used to use a Slingbox in my little wooden b hut in Afghanistan over an initial 64kbps satellite internet, which eventually got upgraded to a whopping 128kbps! ;) (yes, I said "kilo"bits per second!) Sure it was a little fuzzy, but watchable and worth it to see the NFL games and other sports! Let's see TiVo do that now!

Moral of the story, Sling knows what the heck they're doing in this arena. TiVo should've just partnered with them and been done with it.

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    TiVo hasn't had a lot of success partnering with Charlie.

6. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Wrong war.

7. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    As has been stated many times here, the two CEOs were good friends and have joked about the lawsuits. They're both businessmen and know it's just business.

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Considering how low of a quality video TiVo uses for streaming, I see no reason it needs to be wired. That can be an issue with TiVo to TiVo streaming since it is streaming the full bandwidth mpeg-2 over the router and is limited by both TiVos CPUs. But streaming to mobile uses less bandwidth than most youtube videos.

9. mswlogo

mswlogo Member

Mar 17, 2009
    I would test your ISP with a VOIP test site rather than speedtest.net
    It will give you a better picture of real throughput.

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Unless your upload speed is less than 2 megabytes per second, then it is doubtful a speed test would be provide any useful information as TiVo streaming requires very little data. Speed tests do not show you the quality of your uploads however.

11. aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015
    How are you streaming out of the home? Are you using online.tivo.com or something else? I've tried online.tivo.com and it says my Bolt is not online.

12. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You can only stream out of home on mobile. TiVo Online hasn't been updated yet to allow streaming outside of the home.

13. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Not sure about Bolt, but I can also stream out of home with Stream and the Fire TV app.

14. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    I appreciate all the responses...

But the theme seems to be the same as I don't see anyone that is commenting on how good remote access works.

Did also try https://www.voipreview.org/speedtest

Attached Files:

15. tivoyahoo

tivoyahoo New Member

Sep 4, 2003
    which model slingbox ? and how is it connected to Bolt?
    I'm considering sling addition also.
    you mentioned one on loan. have you evaluated different models for tivo and can you offer some pros/cons on the slingbox models? are you going with some model you were loaned and tested?

interesting. so the sling stream routes through the PC to strip the ads? is there a link that explains that part? thanks.

do other models have ads? or do you normally have to subscribe somehow to remove ads?

16. PdX

PdX New Member

Apr 11, 2016
    I have a sling box M1 connected with component cables to a tvio mini in my bedroom that works great. The M1 connects to wifi and is HD. Easier having it on a box that isn't used as a primary as the sling box shows what the TiVo is showing. It doesn't access a single tuner. So if someone was watching the same tv that the sling box is connected two, you are both watching the same thing.

17. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If money were no object, I would get a Slingbox M1/M2 and a dedicated TiVo Mini (that isn't hooked up to a tv). That way you can stream to your PC/mobile device without interfering with your main TiVo. You do have to get a breakout cable for the Mini to get component out (but those don't cost much).

18. tivoyahoo

tivoyahoo New Member

Sep 4, 2003
    The mini setup sounds like a nice solution. Thanks.
    I'm still confused on the sling ads though. Are those on the sling streaming channels or when viewing tivo too?

19. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    The ads are on the web page or app used for streaming. They aren't really intrusive. There is a way to avoid the ads for free without any host file changes. I'll have to find that yellow and post back. FireTV and Roku apps have no ads as I recall. But I haven't watched in a while so I don't remember.

20. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    I purchased a Slingbox 500

The Windows host file blocks sites that host the ads. Do a Google search for blocking ads with a Windows host file. Can be done on Android too.

All model Slingboxes have ads. You cannot remove them. But you can hide them via the OS host file.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016