Remote stops working until a restart

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by kcl, Mar 21, 2008.

1. kcl

kcl New Member TCF Club

Jul 4, 2000
    Davis, CA

Advertisements

I've got two Series 3 Tivos, and they've both started having the same problem over the last month or so. Two or three times a week the remote will simply stop working on one of the units, and nothing will happen until I restart the affected unit by cycling the power. Once that's done, everything works fine.

Does anyone have any advice on this? (Both of the units are running version 9.1a, by the way. My gut feeling is that this version may have introduced the problem.)

TIA for any responses.

2. retired_guy

retired_guy New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Saratoga,...
    One thing to check is the condition of the batteries in the remote. When they're getting weak, pressing the remote multiple times in a row will weaken the signal such that the TVO won't respond. If you then wait awhile during the reboot, the batteries will recover and the remote then work.

3. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
  4. kcl

kcl New Member TCF Club

Jul 4, 2000
    Davis, CA
    Yep, that was one of the first things I thought of. I tried new batteries, the original remotes (I use an MX-850 universal remote for the system), a different MX-850 (my wife has 'her own' ;) ), and even one of the remotes set to 'unit 0' (I've got the Tivo's set to unit 3 and unit 4, respectively). Nothing worked until I rebooted, and then everything worked.
    Oops, my bad. I misspoke (mistyped?) the version as 9.1a, whereas its actually 9.2a on both units.

5. Icarus

Icarus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...

Advertisements

Which remote did you use when you programmed your MX's? The old S1 remotes are a bit different than the S3 remotes. You can use either one, but once it sees one of the commands from the old S1 remote, there are some buttons on the newer remotes that won't work as expected. Anyway, this doesn't really sound like your problem because in any event, the common buttons (tivo, select, play, etc) should always work either way. It sounded similar because if I use the S1s combined live tv/guide button with my S3, the only way to get the S3 remote buttons to work properly again is with a reset.

-David

6. kcl

kcl New Member TCF Club

Jul 4, 2000
    Davis, CA
    I should point out that I got both of these Series 3 Tivos around when they were first released (somewhere around Nov 2006), and I programmed my already-owned MX-850s at that time. My remotes have been working just fine with the Tivos for over a year before this started happening.

7. Icarus

Icarus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    ok, that eliminates that. :)

Are you having the problem if you just use the S3 remotes, or does it start after you use the MXs?

-David

8. kcl

kcl New Member TCF Club

Jul 4, 2000
    Davis, CA
    Thanks for thinking about this. From a prior post in this thread:

9. Icarus

Icarus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    Yeah, I read that. I guess my theory was that if the problem only happens when/after using the MX's, then it could be an odd problem with the MXs (either the way they are programmed or something else maybe?). After the next reset, you might try just using the S3 remotes only and see if there's still a problem or not. I guess you would have to give it a week or so to see if there's a problem, according to your first post.

-David

10. kcl

kcl New Member TCF Club

Jul 4, 2000
    Davis, CA
    Ah, I see. Unfortunately this isn't really an option. These Tivos are part of a relatively complex home theater/entertainment system that is heavily used by my handicapped wife during the day. She cannot physically manage a 'regular' remote and gets confused if she has to deal with the complexity of the system. The MX-850 is required for her to be able to use the system. Nice thought, though. Thanks!

11. Icarus

Icarus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    I see. Are both S3s part of the same system? Is there some way you could eliminate the MX as the problem on one of the S3s?

The only thing I can think of with the MXs is that there IR transmitter is very strong. I also recall from my old MX500, which I don't really use anymore, that you can program commands to repeat or just send a single pulse for a command. You might want to make sure that everything is sending a single pulse, and there's sufficient delays between all the commands. If it sends the commands too fast in a macro, that might confuse the TiVo's IR receiver hardware or the software.

Tough problem to solve. I think you have to figure out a way of isolating the MX vs TiVo remote to try to eliminate the MX as the source of the problem.

I think I managed to hose my S3 once when using the S3s remote. Not sure what I did, but it just ended up freezing up on me. I had to pull the plug to restart it.

-David

12. kmalone576

kmalone576 New Member

Jul 1, 2007
    I don't know if this is related or not, but my remote stopped working properly tonight -- it will turn the tv on and off, and tv volume functions work, but it will not do anything for Tivo. When I press buttons the orange light on the front of the S3 comes on indicating it is receiving from the remote, but nothing happens. I unplugged Tivo and let it restart to see if that would help, but it did not. I'm hoping that changing the batteries will fix it (don't have any AAA's, will have to get some in the am), but if it is a battery issue I'm puzzled as to why it still works on the TV and why the Tivo is acknowledging button presses with its orange light (it stays on as long as I hold down a button on the remote). Any ideas if changing the batteries doesn't work?

EDIT: I searched on the Tivo website and found that if you hold pause and the tivo button for 5 sec, then press zero it resets it to control any DVR. This fixed the problem. Don't know why I needed to reset the remote, but it worked. Sorry - I should have searched there before posting.

13. Eccles

Eccles Mostly harmless

Dec 27, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Without wanting to sound condescending, it sounds like you had simply moved the 1-2 switch on the remote.

14. kmalone576

kmalone576 New Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Nope, that was the first thing I checked. Thanks for the idea though...

15. Eccles

Eccles Mostly harmless

Dec 27, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Most odd. Do you even have multiple TiVos? By default, the remote uses code 0 (the "universal donor" which will control all TiVos regardless of which code they're set for) and the TiVo has no code set (meaning it will respond to all codes), meaning that even if one or the other got set to something other than zero, they still should have worked together - the only time you should see the symptoms you describe is when both the remote and the TiVo have codes set, and they're not the same. Unless you had at some point set up one or the other to a specific code (which you would have no cause to do with only a single TiVo), then I can't explain where the incompatibility came from.

However, if you do have only the one TiVo, you might like to go into the System Status screen and scoll down until you see the Remote Code and verify that it's set to "Not set (0)" - that way if the remote was to somehow lose its mind again, the TiVo would still respond.

16. kmalone576

kmalone576 New Member

Jul 1, 2007
    I agree. I only have the one Tivo currently - though for a short time I was using it to control my old S2 as well. The only thing I can think of is possibly my toddler got hold of the remote and somehow managed to press the correct buttons to reprogram it. Seems unlikely but who knows. I'm just happy its working now and I'll leave it at the zero setting now.