remote stops responding, eventually Premiere hangs

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by chrispitude, Sep 25, 2010.

1. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Last week, I had an issue where the Premiere stopped responding to the IR remote. However, the Premiere kept playing the currently playing program. After a couple minutes of trying to coax a response from the box, it froze up completely and playback stopped.

A buddy of mine has a Premiere and this has happened to him three times. Has anyone else run into this?

- Chris

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes. Even though I exclusively use the SD UI I have had non-responsive Premiere on several occasions. It won't respond to remote at all but after a few minutes that clears up and then everything is functional again. Annoying...

3. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    On the HD UI this is known as just another day.

On the SD UI it's a rare occurance (happened only once out of three machines we have on 14.5).

4. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    It has happened a few times on both my Premiere XL's. Each time it eventually starts to reboot itself within 5-10 minutes. No telling how many times this happens when nobody is around to witness it.

5. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix

Advertisements

It's hit and miss. My TP has been running for more than a week using HD UI with no reboots.

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Just happened again to me today - twice! I didn't have to reboot either time as in a couple of minutes I regained control again, but it's ridiculous. My S3 is rock solid reliable compared to the flimsy Premiere unit running in SDUI mode. There are so many issues with HDUI probably the SDUI will go completely ignored by TiVo as far as issues such as these.

7. Oct 6, 2010 #7 of 15
    wireman121

wireman121 Member

Nov 8, 2008
    This has been happening more and more lately. I am upset I switched from my S3 to the premiere, and I've been using the SDUI as well. Usually a reboot fixes it (I'm too impatient to wait for it to wake back up) but this is getting out of control now...

8. Oct 6, 2010 #8 of 15
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Do you use a Tuning Adapter by any chance? (Having a Tuning Adapter attached seems to aggravate this problem.)

9. Oct 6, 2010 #9 of 15
    ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    This, or something similar, has happened to me 4 times. The first three time were when I was using OTA. The most recent time was with a tuning adapter. All of them happened on my XL. My regular Premier has not experienced this yet.

Ted

10. PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC
    For what i's worth, my Premiere that experienced the remote freeze four times is also XL.

11. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Happened again just now... I get this at least 2-3 times per week on my Premiere, but has not happened at all on my S3. This time was worse than usual. After a couple of minutes of not responding to remote control commands it came back and then immediately froze again for several minutes until I got impatient and had to pull the plug. Note that otherwise there are no issues with the box recording and playing back as it should without any stuttering, so it's not a hard drive problem.

12. moraga695

moraga695 Moraga695

Feb 9, 2007
    I've had my Premier XL (SD UI) for about 30 days and it has has stopped responding to the remote twice - so far. First time I had to reboot. Second time I'd read the quoted post and waited for a while and it became functional again without needing a reboot.

I'm wondering if one keeps rapidly pressing buttons on the remote, if that eventually overflows buffers making a reboot the only way to recover? I'm going to try and be patient every time this happens and wait between button presses to see if it always recovers on its own.

Of course, the best resolution to the problem would be for TiVo to fix it.

13. jon01

jon01 Member

Jan 4, 2005
    long...
    exactly a year later this is still happening. does tivo care? is there a fix for this? I'm using a premiere on a SD tv. this happens weekly. never happens on my premiere running on my HDTV with the HD menus.

- Jon

14. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=456559

Search is your friend

15. h00ligan

h00ligan New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Happens to me on both my premieres using sdui. Fwiw.