remote stopped responding any suggestions?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Knives of Ice, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Knives of Ice

Knives of Ice New Member

Nov 8, 2006
    i have seen some have had an unresponsive remote problem upon upgrading the software. i haven't upgraded my software nor made a call in over 1000 days. everything had worked fine until the last week. i came home one day to a black screen and had to remove power and reboot. i've had to do this one two occasions now. the past few days the remote will barely respond sometimes i have to hit a button 10 or more times to get response no matter how close to the unit i am. even holding it 10 inches away doesn't omit a response. i still haven't missed any recordings during this period though.

neither my harmony remote nor the original tivo peanut remote will respond. any ideas on what the problem could be? thanks.

2. cdharris

cdharris New Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Mine has done the same thing several times tonight. The buttons on the receiver itself are also froze. If the info display or the time display is being shown when it freezes, it just stays on. I waited 30 minutes and then unplugged it and rebooted. It worked okay for a few minutes and then it happened again. And again. Etc. what is going on?

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Many times this can be attributed to IR interference. Compact fluorescent lighting or another remote with a stuck button can cause this.

4. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    maybe or maybe not related but i just rebooted for the fun of it the other day after making a call to try to get E. Well upon reboot the light flashed but no response at all after even 10 minutes so i pulled the plug. (front panel didnt work either)

upon that next reboot all worked fine, however 100% of the time whenever i've rebooted HDtivo in the past, it is always VERY slow to respond for a short time after reboot.

kind of funny because when windows crashes, and your reboot, it's all much faster right away. So I assume windows and linux are totally opposite :)

5. Knives of Ice

Knives of Ice New Member

Nov 8, 2006

that can't be nothing in the setup has changed to cause this and even if i hold the remote right up to the sensor it doesn't work correctly.

is there any chance the hard drive could be going bad and that could be causing this?

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You should take the top off and see if the IR sensor inside has moved and that it is securely connected to the mainboard.

Also, do the front panel buttons work?