Remote Scheduling

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Killerz298, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Jan 4, 2006 #1 of 16
    Killerz298

Killerz298 New Member

Feb 8, 2004
    I am using a Series2 Tivo and am sick and tired of the stupid remote scheduling option offered on the tivo website. Is there any way without hacking to get more complete remote access to the tivo like tivoweb provides? AFAIK HME only supports now playing list, not todo, season passes, etc... Am I missing something or is Tivo website the only way to control what the box will record? What about remotely deleting shows on the box? If the website is the only methos, WTF is Tivo doing? This would be quite a substantial feature that should have been implemented by now!

2. Jan 4, 2006 #2 of 16
    Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    I also want to be able to turn my TV on and off when I'm not home thru my networked TiVo.
    :rolleyes:

It's called remote scheduling. That's what it does. You shouldn't need to access all your TiVo functions via the internet.

3. Jan 4, 2006 #3 of 16
    Killerz298

Killerz298 New Member

Feb 8, 2004
    But it isn't really remote scheduling as you can't see what is already set to record, can't change things, can't change season passes etc.... it is barely remote scheduling. And why in the hell would you want to turn your tv on and off when you aren't home?

4. Jan 4, 2006 #4 of 16
    Nfuego

Nfuego Finally-My ugly mug

Sep 27, 2004
    Springfield,...
    Why would you want to delete a show from your TiVo when you aren't at home?

I don't use the remote scheduling often, but when I have on the TiVo site and the Yahoo site, it has worked just fine.

I don't know what else I would need to do while away from my TiVo...

5. Jan 4, 2006 #5 of 16
    timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    Last week I was out of town. There was something that was coming on that I wanted to record. I did a remote schedule and it worked fine. Because I always have a LOT of stuff recorded, sometimes I delete things to make more room. It would be nice if I could choose what I wanted to delete if I knew something might be deleted that to allow tivo do delete the last thing on the list. If I could manage my NP list, then I could pick what I wanted.

This to me is not a big deal, but I could see why people would want to delete something when you are not home.

6. Jan 4, 2006 #6 of 16
    mlevin

mlevin New Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Somerville, MA
    I totally agree.

I wouldn't want there to be direct network access to MY TiVo, and I think there are privacy concerns about having my TiVo upload its entire "now playing" and "to do" lists to a central server so that I can view/edit them online, but the feature would be convenient...

I, too, often have a very full HD and sometimes I'd like to delete something (or change its expiration date) to allow me to record something I want more.

7. Jan 4, 2006 #7 of 16
    AnotherWin95

AnotherWin95 Registered TiVo User

Dec 12, 2004
    Jacksonville...
    For scheduling have you tried the Yahoo TV site?

http://tv.yahoo.com

There is a short registration and then your in.

8. Jan 5, 2006 #8 of 16
    Killerz298

Killerz298 New Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Yes I have seen that, but as I said, I wanted more control over my tivo box remotely. Control over season passes, what is scheduled to record, what will be deleted to make room for other programs, etc.. I also want INSTANT scheduling capability, not this wait an hour deal. As I said, I want the features of tivoweb natively, without a hack. I don't think that it is too much to ask of Tivo. I am sure I am not the only one who desires such a feature and feel it should have been addressed long ago.

From what you all are saying, I take it this isn't an option yet and that Tivo still needs to implement these features. LEt me ask this then, is there a way to get these features WITH hacking on a series 2? I really didn't want to go that route, but if it is the only way then I guess I have no choice.

9. Jan 5, 2006 #9 of 16
    louisw

louisw New Member

Apr 17, 2001
    London,...
    I am also interested here. I currently use a Tivo and Slingbox from a few thousand miles away. Scheduling is easier to use tivo.com. But for deleting and all that, I need to use the slingbox interface, which has a lag but gets the job done.

10. Nfuego

Sep 27, 2004
    Springfield,...
    Sounds to me, what would be simpler is if you boosted your recording capacity...

Easy to do...

11. Nfuego

Sep 27, 2004
    Springfield,...
    How do you think this is possible?

Unless you set your TiVo up specifically to be accessable OVER the internet...it's not possible.

12. NoCleverUsername

NoCleverUsername New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    California
    The OP wants built-in tivoweb functionality. Tivoweb more or less makes the UI of a TiVo accessible via network, doesn't it?

13. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    When a message has one of these :rolleyes: it usually implies sarcasm.

14. Killerz298

Killerz298 New Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Exactly! I didn't think what I was saying was confusing at all, nor did I expect so many replies to not understand the benefits of what I suggested. I have already upgraded the capacity of my tivo. I am currently using two 120gb hard drives and when I get the chance will upgrade again with two 300gb drives. This however doesn't change my desire for instant remote management. Yes I will no longer need to delete shows remotely most likely, however the scheduling aspect and control of season passes and to do list would still be desirable to me.

Perhaps I should have put a :rolleyes: in my post as well ;)

Anyhow... is there a way to get Tivoweb functionality even with hacking on a series2? If I must, I must..... Any links?

15. NoCleverUsername

NoCleverUsername New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    California
    I assumed you knew what TiVoweb was since you were the one who mentioned it. :confused:

Do a forum search on "tivoweb" and if you still have questions, post them in the Underground forum.