Remote recording on a TiVo based HR10-250

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by BlankMan, Aug 20, 2008.

1. BlankMan

BlankMan I'm the Kettle

Mar 30, 2002
    WI

Advertisements

Am I just the last to know or is this new?

I just got an email today from DirecTV saying I can now remotely schedule programs to be recorded on my TiVo based DVR. So I played around with it, it's fast, starts recording within a minute. I am impressed.

Wanted to see what happened when I was already recording one and watching another, so I scheduled it to record and sure enough it changed the channel and started recording without warning. One could have fun with that... :p

Tried it from my Blackberry to, very usable.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  3. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Just another example of the bizzare schizoid personality of DTV. They want to kill Tivo in favor of moving customers to their own DVR, yet they directly promote what they want to kill. Of course these are the same folks who tell you in one ear that converting will be absolutely free (free DVR, free dish, free install) and when you call them to take advantage of that offer they tell you in the other ear that it will cost a couple hundee and will mean a 2-year commitment. :confused:

4. BlankMan

BlankMan I'm the Kettle

Mar 30, 2002
    WI
    Yeah, I just read the message on my HR10-250 (usually ignore them) dated 6/27 that said I now had this. Wonder why they first emailed me about it today. Weird.

And I was wondering the same thing, why expend the resources to do this on a box that is destined to go away. Unless this is a proof of concept test for something to come...

5. joed32

joed32 New Member

Jul 9, 2005

Advertisements

Will this also work with all of the series 2 DVRs?

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    That's what the DBSTalk thread says if they have the latest software. :)

7. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    things like this people dont wanna talk about because it's something GOOD that happened with hdtivo! ;)

i love using it

8. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    They aren't killing the 2-2.5 million DirecTivo's left in service. It was only the 200K or so HR10's that have been replaced because they can't decode MPEG4 nor see the 2 new sat slots. The SD DirecTivo's are still fine. Of course the number of those shrinks by the day as well as they naturally die off but heck, people are still using Ultimate TVs, 5+ years after the plug was pulled on them.

As mentioned in another thread the DirecTivo's needed to be updated to handle the new guide data stream without dieing and Tivo tossed in a couple new features in with the update. I don't see why DirecTV shouldn't let people know that those new features exist.

9. Cabinwood

Cabinwood Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 11, 2000
    North Georgia
    I am camping and I have one of my HD Tivo's with me. Just went to my Directv account and told it to record something that was on now and it immediately started recording. Color me impressed :D

10. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Don't you just love that. But most people don't have a problem with a 2 year commitment (at least that's what they all say). :D

11. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    It's been out for about a month or so.

It's fast because it comes down from the satellite. Unlike Tivo HD which needs to wait for it's normal connection time to get the info.

12. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    That wasn't my experience at all.... Mine was 100% free and no extra commitment (well, until they threw in a second DVR for me...)

13. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Hmmm, are you sure about that??? Since it does not show on your bill, how can you be sure???

14. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I think I'd notice a charge for $100-$200 if it weren't free. ;)

No idea on the commitment since after she placed the order for my free receiver, I told her I wanted a second receiver for free as well, along with some programming credits and such. It was at that time that she told me I'd need to agree to a 2-year commitment, which I agreed to.

But the first receiver was very clearly free and she didn't mention the commitment until I asked for the second one.

15. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    The commitment was the only thing I was referring to. :)

Unless, they start putting this on the bill... you would never know that you had one (speaking in general terms).

16. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005

You do if you

1. read the contract you are agreeing to
    2. ask questions concerning the financial contract you are agreeing to

17. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    Even then it appears that with D*, it's a crapshoot. There are many threads here where we read of people being told there would be no commitment but found out later that indeed they were into one. Unless it's in writing, there is no assurance.

18. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    No more of then what is posted about comjunk and charter on the various websites that deal with them.

19. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Can we get back on subject?

It was odd that we got an email from DirecTV on this this late.

I no longer have my HR10 but I do love this ability on my HR20's. I have also used Tivo's version for my HD Tivo and it has been useful. The DirecTV mobile version is very nice and I often use it even from a desktop because it is fast. The same software for the HR20's allows you to schedule on demand downloads from the main webpage (not mobile) similar to how you can do so from Unbox for the HD Tivo.

20. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    1. If you are given a contract, then sure.
    2. If you are told that you are even agreeing to something.