Remote record via iphone

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by Stuartrossd, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Stuartrossd

Stuartrossd New Member

Feb 3, 2011
    I can set a remote record via my lap top on virgins tv guide page but when I try to do it via the iPhone it tells me I do not have an active TiVo box. Anyone else had this issue? Or has anyone successfully set a remote recording via iPhone?

2. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    It's a known problem - everybody has some problem.

Only RR via Web works - although that is down this morning.

3. JonnyF

JonnyF New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    UK
    Ok, So being a bit of an IT Geek , I couldn't let the Iphone and Virgins Remote Record beat me so heres what I have discovered.

Its not all that common knowledge that other Browsers exist for the Iphone, but they do - You can install Opera and that (for me) is a better browser than Safari (on Iphone) However , don't get too carried away cos this doesn't work with remote Record either but there is certainly one browser that does;

SkyFire

Skyfire also gives you access to Flash , yeah , its true flash.

But for us Tivoites it also means that we can use the Virgins TV Guide and this allows Remote record to work just fine.
    Skyfire is more of an application than a browser as the content is hosted by them and then transferred to your Iphone by way of screen-shots , but the website explains that better than me, so please read that if you have any concerns .

The Downside - The app costs , but I think its worth it for the functionality it brings and its discounted at the moment - I think its £1.79 on the Appstore.

There are probably other browsers you could try , you could wait for Virgin to create an Iphone App but for now but Skyfire is something that I hope will fit the bill for you.

Jon

4. bengeo

bengeo New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Just tried Skyfire and I still get the same ' you don't seem to have a tivo box' message that I get with Safari. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andy

5. JonnyF

JonnyF New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    UK
    Andy, Thats a bit odd - And this definitely works on your PC?

Are you using Wifi or 3G - I was on wifi (provided by Virgin Cable) when I tested this this morning, so I'll try via wifi and then just 3G to see if that makes any difference.

Jon

6. JonnyF

JonnyF New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    UK
    Just been doing some more testing and my Cell Network round here is appalling, that said I did eventually get to the page and I did get the "you don't seem to have a tivo box" message whilst on 3G.

Back on Wifi and it works fine , If anyone else can provide some more feedback on what networks works and what don't using Skyfire then we can provide some solid advice on how this can and can't work.

Jon

7. Zaichik

Zaichik New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Hell on Earth
    I thought I should note at this point that the problem also afflicts Android phone users.

8. JonnyF

JonnyF New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    UK
    I also have access to an android device so I'll check that too today and report back in that device type.
    Jon

9. spj20016

spj20016 New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    And also with the Blackberry.

10. MonTheFish

MonTheFish New Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Weird....works on my iPad over 3G and wifi.

11. bengeo

bengeo New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I tried again this evening and it seems to work fine on wifi and 3G.

Thanks,

Andy

12. mightybees

mightybees New Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Does remote recording allow you to add buffers?

13. bengeo

bengeo New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Not now.

14. the4dudleys

the4dudleys New Member

Apr 26, 2011
    I have had great success with my laptop but nothing with iphone using Safari or Skyfire.
    From my iphone cannot even get the same page layout as the one on my laptop. Even changed the settings in Skyfire to setup the screen as a desk top :confused:

15. brightonjohn

brightonjohn New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Just managed to set a recording up using my iPad at work. Can anybody else verify that this now works for them?

16. spj20016

spj20016 New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    I set a few remote records yesterday on my Blackberry, so i think they must have fixed the problem.

17. jaykay74

jaykay74 New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    It's still not working on my iPod Touch.

18. spj20016

spj20016 New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    I tried to set some recordings using my blackberry today, got message saying recordings had been sent but no recording requests have been received by my Tivo. So it looks like there are still problems.

19. Adder

Adder New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Still not working on my iPhone.

20. Plaiter

Plaiter New Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Remote recording requests on the iphone no longer say you have not got an active tivo box.
    I can actually send a recording request.
    Unfortunately this does not appear on my tivo box.
    Web recording on the main site looks to be down again “technical glitch”.