Remote problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by natkins, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Oct 4, 2010 #1 of 18
    natkins

natkins New Member

Oct 15, 2004
    Aloha, OR

Advertisements

As of late, I've got a very finicky/sensitive remote.

My problem is two-fold:

1) Sometimes when when pressing a remote key, the command does not register on the Tivo. (There isn't a freeze-delayed reaction as reported in a separate thread.) I actually have to press the remote key a second time for the Tivo to respond.

2) Other times, I press a remote key once and the Tivo acts like I've pressed it twice, causing me to have to back out of actions that I didn't want.

I've changed out the batteries, but that didn't fix the problem. Anyone else having this issue?

2. Oct 4, 2010 #2 of 18
    dbenrosen

dbenrosen New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    New Jersey
    Are you using the TiVo remote or a universal remote? I have had the second issue (double press behavior) using my universal MX-500 remote but never with the TiVo remote.

3. Oct 4, 2010 #3 of 18
    natkins

natkins New Member

Oct 15, 2004
    Aloha, OR
    I'm using the glow remote that came with my Premiere XL.

The "double press" issue is driving me nuts!

4. Oct 4, 2010 #4 of 18
    Mamoth

Mamoth New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    The responsiveness of the remote also annoys me. My problem is, when I have the guide open (grid view), I type in a channel number and then hit enter. I can see that the channel was typed in, but the second I hit enter, it brings up the guide "info/format" page. But if I go slow, everything is fine.

Bleh.

5. Oct 4, 2010 #5 of 18
    natkins

natkins New Member

Oct 15, 2004
    Aloha, OR

Advertisements

That is happening with me too! Very strange issue. I wonder if purchasing a new remote will solve the problems.

6. Oct 9, 2010 #6 of 18
    angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    Yes I have it too :confused:I now have the new tivo slide remote. Still happens.Any one know how to fix it :thumbsdown::(

7. jbcheshire

jbcheshire Member

Jun 6, 2006
    I have the standard remote that came with the base Premiere and it is having problems too. I actually had to reboot the premiere yesterday because it just locked up completely!!! I believe they are having some serious software issues with these units...

8. treat2day

treat2day New Member

Mar 27, 2010
    The Glo Remote has always given me problems the since the day it released.

One Solution is to do a Global Reset a few time a year. It seems to clear up all issues but you will need to redo all you special settings.

The following procedure will reset all of the key functions on the remote, clearing the remote address, TV and A/V codes, as well as any programmable buttons.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/293/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL1BWNWlsNGRr

9. BigOtter

BigOtter New Member

Apr 18, 2010
    We have 3 remotes (TiVo sent us one when the frst exhibited all the problems mentioned in this thread). The other 2, both the premium versions, are erratic at best but certainly frustrating. Our downstairs TiVo drives the upstairs TV as well and I have installed the RF Extender sold by TiVo. It works well through the wall but still has the same problems of pressing once and not doing anything and pressing once and having it act as though I pressed it twice.

10. Sut703

Sut703 New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Recently (last 2 weeks or so), my new Slide remote started doing this on my Premiere. Driving me crazy. Sometimes I have to press something 3 or 4 times before it starts doing something. Sometimes then it's queued up commands. But all the time, the receiver is seeing it. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the dongle, and also moved the dongle near the front of my entertainment stand (using an extension cable), but there is no difference.

11. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    Yes, this is happening to me too. Anyone know how to fix it or is it natural behavior for the slide remote?

12. ItsRounder

ItsRounder New Member

Feb 28, 2010
    I'm also getting the double press problem. I think mine started about a month or so ago but I'm not sure. Perhaps every sixth press or so seems to register twice. I have the remote that shipped with my Premiere.

13. deandashl

deandashl New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Sorry, to cross over here, But I thought you would be interested.

I've got a Slide Remote and a HD XL.

I also have been noticing the "no response" issue the last few weeks. I'm "kinda?" glad it's not just me. I don't remember this with the Glo-Remote nor the Slide-Remote when I first got it.

Once in a while it just chooses not to do anything.

I have not noticed a double press issue, however.

Interesting -- Premiere, HD, Glo-Remote and Slide-Remote. Not very specific, is it?

14. Sut703

Sut703 New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    I've been experiencing this issue more now, and when this has happened I've even tried busting out the remote that came with the TiVo (non-Slide), and it will not respond either. I've seen a few other threads here on Tivo Community with this same issue. I'm hoping TiVo is working on this, but based on their track record, I am not expecting a fix anytime soon.

15. treat2day

treat2day New Member

Mar 27, 2010
    The original remote is always reliable.

The problem began with the Glo remote but never on the original peanut boring remote.

IN MY OPINION--A learning remote has always been a problem regardless what brand you buy.

16. sariemerci

sariemerci New Member

Sep 19, 2008
    AZ
    I have that problem (delay and/or missed presses and/or neverending presses) on my slide remote with TiVo Premiere. I do not have that problem with the premiere when I use the glo remote that came with my S3. It looks like this is a widespread issue so maybe I'll just return it instead of get a replacement.

17. kline

kline New Member

Aug 13, 2010
    I am having the same or very similar problem. Posted about it in this forum on 12-3 with title "IR control problems". It is not the remote control it is the tivo machine as I have tried other remotes.

I find that if I get close up to and right in front of the tivo machine the control command will be received. If I am sending at a small angle and about 12 feet from the machine it will not receive commands.

This problem has been erratic and getting progressively worse over the past two weeks or so.

18. CJLinst

CJLinst New Member

Mar 13, 2005
    My Premiere XL just started missing remote commands a couple days ago. Changed batteries, problem still exists. Tested fresh batteries to be sure, 1.5V each. Brought the Glo remote from the bedroom, same problem (remote works fine with the Premiere in the bedroom).

The LED on the remote lights every time a button is pressed. The TiVo responds every time the yellow LED indicates the command was received. But it sometimes takes several presses for the TiVo unit to see the keypress. It was fine - with zero complaints - for the past 6 months.

Soft boot - problem still exists. Hard boot - problem still exists.

It's as though the unit is now hard of hearing (I guess blind would be more appropriate).