Remote issue with LG tv

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by johnfasc, Oct 16, 2019.

1. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    I have an LG 55UM7300AUE tv, I do not use the remote as I have a Tivo 1tb Roamio and use the peanut remotes. I recently found that if I hit certain buttons on my tivo remote the tv dialogue boxes open up. Sometimes to change the channel, or to change the hdmi connection etc. This happens even though I have not batteries in the LG remote. Then I have to use the LG remote to get rid of whatever is on the tv screen because the tivo remote cannot. This seems very strange. Is there a way for this to not happen? Is this a programing issue? I am miffed but it is happening too often. And I never know what button push causes this to happen.

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Back in the days when I used an OTA analog-digital signal converter box, when I used the TiVo remote to change channels, I would get the box's information on the screen as to the new channel. But it automatically would disappear after a few seconds.

3. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    Switch the TiVo remote from IR to RF, so the TiVo commands won't interfere with LG tv.

4. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Mmmm, I have two remotes, both are set to RF.

5. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Perhaps if I waited it out it will disappear. I will try that next time.

6. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    What color is the light on the TiVo remote when you press a TiVo key? You can check to see if the remote is giving off IR commands by pointing it at cell phone camera, RF no light, IR light flashes.

7. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Light blinks orange. So definitely RF.

8. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    Then it must be hdmi CEC, try turning it off in menu of tv?

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    On my LG TV, there's a very simple (too simple) sequence to bring up the service menu, such that I've done it accidentally a number of times. I haven't quite worked out what it is, but it may be something as simple as mute-mute-mute. This is a sequence that can be generated by the TiVo remote, as long as it's programmed to control the LG.

10. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Well let me know if you do figure it out. Very annoying when it happens! And how to stop it?

11. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Yes pressing mute 3x brings up from the bottom a 'Select the Menu' window. If I wait about 30 seconds it disappears. But at other times (don't know the button pushes) the main menu on the left side of the screen pops up or the Home dashboard with the HDMI choices. Pressing a wrong button changes the HDMI input effectively closing what you are watching. I suppose just waiting it out is the answer. They do eventually disappear. Just aggravating.

12. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The TiVo remote's Input button brings up the input menu -- that one's by design. Keep pressing it to cycle through the inputs, leave it on the one you want, and it will (sometimes) switch to that input. Not as reliable as using the TV remote to do it.

I don't think I've seen other menus brought up by the TiVo remote.

13. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    When the menu item appear, try pressing volume key, see if it goes away?

14. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Will do