Remote IR is weak.. Help please???

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by scottzee, Sep 19, 2006.

1. scottzee

scottzee New Member

Sep 19, 2006

Advertisements

Hello all... thanks in advance for any experts out there that can help me.

I've had a R10 for a year, everything worked great. Just this week the unit stopped recognizing the remote (but the TV still resonds fine to the remote, so it's not batteries - though I did change them just to make sure).

But, if I press the IR part of the remote control directly in contact with what I think is the IR part of the R10, I can get it to respond to the remote control. Not very convenient :)

Any suggestions? I rebooted to no avail. I would just get a replacement (I have the protection plan) but I don't like the Directv DVR (I have one in the bedroom) and it sounds like the chances of having them send out a TIVO are pretty slim.

Thanks,
    Scott Z.

2. kb7sei

kb7sei New Member

Oct 4, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    If the TV responds well, then it probably isn't the remote itself that has a problem. Try to clean the IR spectrum in the room by turning off lights, removing batteries from or hiding all other remotes, and turn everything off you don't need. Just to see if you can get the TiVo to respond well. I have found in the past that often another IR source is making it hard to control some things. I suppose it could just be that remote has a problem only when using the TiVo codes though. Do you have another remote that can control the TiVo? Maybe a universal remote?

3. scottzee

scottzee New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I'll try that tonight. Thanks for the help.