Remote doesn't work from 8-10pm

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by enovak, Oct 16, 2006.

1. enovak

enovak New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    MA

Advertisements

As the title said, the remote on one of my DirecTivo's (Philips) doesn't work between the hours of 8-10pm. This is a rough estimate of the times, I haven't actually sat down and waited for it to stop and start working.

About a month ago, I went to watch TV in bed and the remote didn't work. When I woke up, it worked again. Over the next few weeks I slowly worked out the times that it didn't work, and that rebooting fixed the problem, but only for a few days.

I tried using one of the other remotes in the house and they didn't work either.

Has anyone else seen this?

2. rhuntington3

rhuntington3 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2001
    Nope. Never. That's a bizzre problem.

3. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    >between the hours of 8-10pm

The only thing I can think of (and this is a stretch) is some kind of interference from other electrical equipment in the area

4. globalgreg

globalgreg Member

Feb 7, 2005
    That is freaking hilarious.

5. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003

Advertisements

Some people have said that compact flourescent bulbs cause problems with remotes. If you have them, try turning them off and see what happens.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    I agree. Something is causing interference with your DVR's remote at that time. Figuring out what it is could be tough.

7. TiVolunteer

TiVolunteer lotta lurk rare post

Jul 10, 2001
    Cary, NC
    Try the good old "Receiver and remote both under a thick blanket test" (essentially create an IR hood to isolate the receiver and remote from the rest of the world) during the 8-10 pm hours. If it works in that environment, you definitely have some piece of equipment that is creating IR interference.

Had a similar situation. It worked under the blanket but got flaky results otherwise. Took me three nights to figure out it was my daughters wireless dance pad for her playstation. It was left on and folded in a corner. Since some of the pads were making contact, it was constantly broadcasting IR signals into the room. Didn't even think to look there until I noticed my daughter replacing the batteries for the third time.

8. tgr131

tgr131 Safety Dancer :)

May 23, 2001
    Columbia,...
    Yeah, I had a similar problem. My remote stopped working, worked intermittently, etc. Turns out my DVD remote was stuck in the couch, aimed at the entertainment center, and was spewing out IR whenever I sat on the couch. Took me a week to figure out what was going on.

9. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    If you happen to have a digital camcorder with a built in screen you can use that to try to identify any IR interference. Digital camcorders are usually sensitive to near IR like that used in remote controls, and can see remote control signals just like flashlights.

Using one to look around the room can identify and stray devices that are emitting IR that might be interfering with the TiVo.

10. lorick

lorick TiVo 4 Ever

Jul 30, 2001
    Eau...
    I would blame it on the 6.3a software update.

11. arc6th

arc6th Fair and Balanced

Jun 26, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I think someone is taking the batteries out of the remote. Perhaps the goal is so you spend more time with them. Then again, maybe they're using the batteries for only a short while and fail to return them to the remote immediately upon the completion of their project.

12. enovak

enovak New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    MA
    At 9pm I checked and the remote wasn't working. I made a tent and the remote worked fine. After checking the entire room I couldn't find any other remotes or other IR emitting devices. I then pulled the shades, closed all the doors, shut off the lights, shut off the ceiling fan, unplugged the CO detector and covered all the mirrors. Still the remote only worked under the tent.

I tried making a mini tent and only blocking certain directions and still it didn't work 100% unless I made a complete tent.

Now just to be exact, the occasional signal gets through without the tent, but it's only about 1 in 30 or so.

I'm going to test again at 10pm to see if I can find out exactly when it starts working again.

13. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Something is on during those two hours and is interfering.

14. Jeremy517

Jeremy517 New Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Try changing your remote address.

1) Hold down the PAUSE and TiVo buttons for 5 seconds, until the red light on the remote comes on.
    2) Use the number buttons to enter a number other than zero. Zero is default, so we want to try another value.

15. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    Hmmm, let's say the remote address is now set at 4, and he changes it to 6. How do you think the remote is going to work now? ;)
    If you're going to do this you need to do it while the box is on the system information screen, or you will "lose control."