Remote delay

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Saguaro71, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Saguaro71

Saguaro71 New Member

Aug 11, 2009

Advertisements

I have a Tivo Volt Vox 3TB and a Mini Vox and I've noticed something strange on both of them lately, when I pick up the remote and press a button, any button (Tivo, guide, channel up down) the first button press does not register, nothing happens, I then press a button again and this time it registers on the screen and I can continue to use the remote without any issue. It's as if it takes one button press to wake it up and then it works fine. Seems to happen when the Tivo remote hasn't been used in a little while. Has anybody else had this issue? Or know how to fix it? It's not a big deal but just a little annoying to pick up the remote and have it not work on the first try.

2. JSearfoss

JSearfoss Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Wellsboro, PA
    I have noticed this also. Very annoying.

3. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    I have my Bolt’s remote in RF mode, and it intermittently happens to me. Don’t believe its an interference problem but some kind of state the TiVo gets into. Hasn't been happening in a long time but has recently started occurring again.

4. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Just to rule it out, how are the batteries?

5. worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN

Advertisements

My batteries are fine. It was back to normal for me yesterday and today. When it happens it's usually not longer than a day. It happen for a week shortly after I got my bolt. I almost returned the bolt thinking I had a bad hard drive. I've notice it 4-5 times since I got my bolt. Never happened to my Roamio using the same remote at the same location.

6. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    One other question (and this is not to discount the problem or anything but just trying to get ideas...).... Does the IR remote sensor face a window that gets lots of sun. I sometimes had problems in my last house with that.

7. worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    It might be different for others but I use the remote in RF mode. The problem usually happens at night with the drapes drawn and all the lights turned off. I notice the problem more at night, but then again I use the TiVo more at night.

8. Saguaro71

Saguaro71 New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Tried replacing the batteries, no change. Light doesn't seem to be a factor either, happens day and night.

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The battery level is shown in System Information. Example:
    TE4-SI-3.JPG
    I use Lithium. They are 100% and then die quickly.

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Are you using power saving or placing the TiVo in standby?

Scott

11. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Do you use the Info button much? There is a bug in the HORRIBLE TE4 software that causes this exact symptom after every touch of the Info button. The first press of any button after Info is used will do nothing at all.

12. Saguaro71

Saguaro71 New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    No.

13. Saguaro71

Saguaro71 New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I use the Info button, but what you're describing is not exactly the same as what I experience, it doesn't matter what button I press first, the first press won't do anything but the second will. And then after watching TV for a little while without using the remote if I press a button I get the same thing, nothing, until the second button press.

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Rereading the thread, I have a question as yet not asked. After the remote "goes to sleep", does that first keypress cause the amber LED to blink? I'm curious if the TiVo ignores the first, or the remote ignores the first.

15. jssmcarlo

jssmcarlo Member

Jul 21, 2015
    I’ve been noticing this with mine (bolt vox), too. I use a harmony remote. Every time after using the info button (hadn’t made the connection until reading this thread), the next button push, regardless of which button, doesn’t work, although the amber light on the TiVo does blink.

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The voice button and Clear to exit the info screen don't need the extra key press. But it is still a weird bug. The remote will also perform all the IR related functions, like volume up/down. BTW, I'm using a Roamio with the dongle.

17. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    This has been around since CEC was introduced I think, or maybe it was the T9 Search, I forget now. It is quite annoying.

18. Saguaro71

Saguaro71 New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    So last night I was going to do a test to see if I could answer your question, but low and behold, both Tivos were working flawlessly, no remote delay at all. Go figure.

19. timstack8969

timstack8969 Member

May 14, 2004
    Not sure if this is same remote delay problem others are seeing. I'm using TiVo Bolt when I press any numbers or scroll down the TE3 Guide sometimes the remote doesn't react right away and see a red light on the remote instead of yellow but then when it starts working I see a yellow light with remote. Batteries are 100%. Did the global reset of remote but still I'm getting a delay with IR red light when pressing buttons on remote. Shouldn't I only see yellow light up with remote? Paired correctly

20. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I get a red light and a slow/no response occasionally on my Roamios. It's usually because I'm holding the remote in a position where my laptop screen is between the remote and the TiVo. I have no idea why that would block the RF signal, but it does.