Remote Control Replacement

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by timstack8969, Jan 19, 2012.

1. timstack8969

timstack8969 Member

May 14, 2004
    I've had my Premiere XL since it was first available but my remote is not working the greatest. The "8" button doesn't respond and pretty much all of HD channels start with "8". I currently use the Black Glo Lite which has a Plastic feel to it which I don't like the greatest. Are people buying the "Slide Remote" or should I just buy the Standard TIVO Block remote.

2. gmogoody

gmogoody New Member

Nov 11, 2011
    I use a Harmony 650, and then my android phone for searching

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If you type a lot, the Slide is a good remote. And it is bluetooth so line of sight isn't needed. There's nothing wrong with the standard Glo remote though. It is up to your preferences really.

4. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    I got a slide last week and am pleased with it. It is more compact than the Glo and has a solid feel. The bluetooth is more responsive and as the prior poster said doesn't require line of sight.

The keyboard makes search a snap and it is backlit for use in low light. I also use the Harmony One remote which is great.

If you decide on a slide, shop around. There are significant variations in price.

5. rboutin2

rboutin2 New Member

Oct 26, 2011
    i have the standard premiere remote, the slide remote, a harmony one and a harmony 650. My tivo remotes havent been touched since i got my premieres. I would HIGHLY recommend spending a lil extra cash on the harmony 650. I love it with my tivo and the colored buttons make it all worth it for searching and such. The tivo app for idevices and android is also very useful.

6. Gravydeen

Gravydeen New Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Does the Harmony 650 have all the shortcuts that a TIVO has? I have always avoided universal remotes since they are not designed for the TIVO. Do you consider it better than the TIVO remote and why?

7. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    The Slide remote is fantastic. It is a bit heavy, and the size takes some getting used to, but once you adapt, there is nothing as good. It is well built, convenient, fast, long range, doesn't require "pointing", batteries seem to last forever (OMG, I am still on the same set of batteries after over a year!) I bet you will love it.

8. news4me2

news4me2 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Another nice feature with the Slide Remote is that you can see the battery status of your Remote under Settings > Account & System Info > System Information > page 3 - "RF Remote Battery Level"