Remote control power on both TV and Receiver?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gardavis, Aug 12, 2007.

1. gardavis

gardavis Member

Nov 24, 2001
    Deerfield...
    I set up my old Sony S1 SVR-2000 remote so that clicking the power button power down (or power up) both the TV and the A/V Receiver (a second later). It didn't always work, sometimes leaving one or the other ON but when it did, it was convenient.

I don't remember how I set this up on the Sony.

Is it possible to do this with the peanut remotes (in my case, for the HD Tivo)?

Thanks,
    Gary Davis

2. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I don't think so. The power button can only be tied to one device on the peanut remotes. More fancy universal remotes can do what you want.

I personally have a Harmony 880, which can be overkill for some people, but since I had 6 remote controls, this allows me to condense everything into one remote. And it runs macros.

3. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    Yes,

1. press and hold TIVO & TV POWER, enter TV code
    2. press and hold TIVO & MUTE, enter AUD receiver code
    3. press and hold TIVO & TV POWER, enter AUD receiver code again

4. gardavis

gardavis Member

Nov 24, 2001
    Deerfield...
    Thanks, Edmund. That did it. Now, when I click Power, it turns off the TV, I quickly point the remote at the receiver and it goes off too. The same goes for turning both on.

Gary

5. gardavis

gardavis Member

Nov 24, 2001
    Deerfield...
    Aus1ander, the Tivo remote is for my wife. I use an old Radio Shack 15-1994 which I program with my PC using a JP1 cable and software (see http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/). It's big and clunky but works good for all my devices.

Gary

6. Jerry Wilson

Jerry Wilson New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I can enter many product numbers and still have Power to the TV (Panasonic HD) and Audio (Yamaha) up and down but cannot turn off/on my Yamaha Receiver. Am I asking too much? It seems others have achieved all three steps, what have I missed?

I have a Harmony 880 and am tired of the hours it takes to set up. Any IR Remotes others would suggest (generic platform)? All those other bell's and whistles are not desired.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jerry

7. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    Its not the fault of the tivo remote, it the yamaha use of two key power scheme, one key for ON and another for standby. The tivo remote won't give something the yamaha oem remote doesn't even give you. a power toggle.

This goes for onkyo & HK av receiver too.

8. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    If you have a S3 or TiVo Glow remote you can try the learning feature of the remote. If that fails you can try a code search. See link for instructions.

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport...eature_of_the_TiVo_Glo_or_Series3_Remote.html

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I only had to do step one to get my peanut to control the TV power, a/v receiver power, and a/v receiver volume?:p

RCA TV and RCA receiver:up:

10. roz

roz New Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Hmm does this apply to me?

I think I have it set up right - I can turn off tv and control volume on the receiver (Yamaha RX-V3800), I even tried the tip above where you program the TV PWR again with the receiver code, but ....

when I push TV PWR, the sound from the receiver turns off for about 2 seconds - then it turns on again! What is going on here? any way to fix?

11. JHawk

JHawk Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Lawrence, KS
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but I picked up a glo remote on the cheap at Best Buy. For the life of me I can't get it work with my Yamaha HTR-5660 receiver. Any one have a work around since the last post?

TIA,

JHawk (sad at the moment)