Remote Control of Adjacent Tivos

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jhstn58, Jun 22, 2007.

1. jhstn58

jhstn58 New Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Nashville,...

Advertisements

I installed the Series 3 Tivo last night and it works like a charm. I still have a DirecTV HD Tivo, however, and try as I might, I cannot configure the remote to distinguish between the two devices. Even though I program separate remote access codes for each device, it seems to make no difference. The remote works both devices in both positions 1 and 2.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

2. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Information in the manual, under "remote addressing."

3. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Make sure you cover up the IR window of the Tivo not being programmed when you do it. Better yet, place the other Tivo in standby and access the System Information screen of the Tivo to be programmed using the front panel buttons instead of the remote. Once you've got the screen displayed indicating the current Tivo IR address, take the remote to another room and press the Tivo/DirecTV and Pause buttons simultaneously until the red LED at the tip of the remote comes on solid.

Point the remote at the Tivo and press the number you wish to assign to the Tivo. When the LED stops flashing, press the right cursor arrow on the remote to set the code. The IR code number will change to the number you assigned. It sounds like you're going through the steps but not setting the code properly. Press the left cursor button on the remote to get out of the menu. Repeat for the 2nd Tivo and you should be good.

4. jhstn58

jhstn58 New Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Nashville,...
    I swear I did it at least four times last night per the manual. The first couple of times, the command leaked to the other Tivo (going to Standby is an excellent suggestion). I'll try it again later today, but from your responses it appears there is no reason it should not have worked (I was afraid the diff - or lack thereof - between the DirecTivo and Series 3 would be the problem).

Perhaps I did not fully switch the Remote's 1-2 switch when programming the second unit.

5. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA

Advertisements

The 1-2 switch, doesn't mean address 1 - address 2 switch. They both come set to address "0". You need to program each side to a different address.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?postid=893829#post893829

6. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I'd also suggest unplugging the other machine while you're changing the code.

7. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Unplugging the machine really isn't necessary and is pretty much overkill. As long as you have the System Information screen displayed only on the Tivo you are changing, you can probably get away with leaving the other Tivo in normal mode, although I wouldn't recommend it. That's why I always access the System Information screen using the front panel buttons. When a Tivo is in Standby it will only respond to the Tivo/DirecTV or LiveTV buttons and nothing else.

That's very true. The Address 1/2 switch allows you to emulate two separate remotes, but you still have to set each one up individually. There are a total of ten IR codes that you can use with "0" being the default. Note that the "0" code is the master code and will override any other codeset you may have programmed into your Tivo. In other words, you can't just program one Tivo with code "1" and leave the other one at code "0". The "1" Tivo will function indpendently of the other when you use the remote but the "0" remote will operate both Tivos simultaneously, regardless of what designation you've assigned.

I've got a programmable remote that I have set up with codesets 1 thru 9. I work with a lot of Tivos and I like to be able to insert a Tivo into my system and operate it so it doesn't interfere with any of my regular Tivos. I keep a peanut remote handy strictly for reprogramming the IR codesets. Once I've assigned a code number to the extra Tivo I can use my universal remote without affecting my other Tivos.

8. jhstn58

jhstn58 New Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Nashville,...
    I understand that I have to program in the particular code for each device and thought I had followed the instructions to a T last night (I also understand that 0 is a master override). Obviously I missed something and will try again. But, captain_video, you bring up an interesting point. I am using a Universal programmable remote and would like to have it also distinguish between the two code sets. Is there an easy way to do that other than manually input each command once I get the code sets to work?

Also, are you saying that I can assign any code 1 through 9 to a particular device (not that I need to)? The manual suggests that the choices are 1 and 2 only.

9. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    The only tivo code in 99% of the universal remotes is address zero. Accept for the one-for-all urc-6820, 8820, 10820, and 6690. They have preset codes for tivo remote addresses 1-4.

10. jhstn58

jhstn58 New Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Nashville,...
    Well I got it to work last night. Turned out the 1-2 button was stopping short of position 2. Once I forced it all the way over, it worked as it was supposed to and I was able to re-code each device. I was also able to download into the remote all S3 commands for the particular access code, but had to use the learn process for the DirecTivo.

Thanks, all.

11. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    No.

It's a simple solution when someone's having problems getting the two sets of codes changed, as in this case.

This way, you KNOW the other machine won't pick up on the change being made to the one that's still plugged in.

12. BruceShultes

BruceShultes Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    I agree, sometimes unplugging one machine while you reset the other is necessary.

Either I have a remote, which is sending an unusually strong signal or I wasn't correctly covering the IR ports when I tried to do this on my S3 and HR10-250.

The only way I was able to make it work was to unplug each box while I configured each box for the other id.

13. ivyvine420

ivyvine420 New Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Berkeley,...
    I never knew that you could use up to 9 codes for the switch on the remote. That would have been useful for the past couple months while having 3 Tivo units (2 series 3 and 1 series 2dt) hooked up in the living room. I had to keep putting one of the S3 units into Standby (or both when not being used) so that they could share one side of the switch with the #2 being used for the S2DT. If I had known I could have set up another remote to control a third unit (with a #3 remote address) then it would have made things alot easier.

Of course, I now have the 2nd S3 Unit boxed up and ready to be shipped back to Costco after finally watching all my programs off of it (cablecards wouldn't work correctly in it, my new S3 works fine - I had another S3 first which had a broken OLED Display so that had to go back before too)...

Still good to know for later if needed...

Someone mentioned that MOST Universal remotes only use code #0 for Tivo units and that only a few actually let you use codes #1-4. It seems the model #s were listed (?) but not manufacturer... Is there any way to get a Logitech Harmony remote to do different codes (even if just 2) and without the Harmony having a switch on it? I have the Harmony 670 which is a cheaper one that is designed for DVRs and is pretty good (other than the metal directional & OK buttons, but they are the same style as S3 Tivo GloRemotes so it's not that bad).

I have not been using it since we got our first S3 since the GloRemote is just *so* nice, and then we added on another Tivo etc. But I can't take all 5 million remotes we have (I mainly use the GloRemote with both settings on switch used and use the Input Button to switch TV video inputs) and I really like the "Activities" buttons, and programmable activities shown on the LED etc. But I just can't seem to get the remote to do 2 Tivos and handle them as "separate devices". I tried to manually program the IR controls with both with the Tivo remote switched to 1 for the S3 and to the 2 for the S2DT while doing the IR learning to the Harmony, and while each device works with the programmed info, it seems it just did the 0 Default setting and so both Tivos are affected no matter which Tivo Device is actually trying to be used...

Thanks for any help or suggestions, or even Brand/Model # of any good Universal Remotes that *will* control *at least* 2 Tivos, and hopefully have "activity buttons" like the Harmony or other manual self programmed buttons/macros/etc.

14. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Not cheap, buy my Harmony 880 controls my 4 TiVo's just fine.

Bit of a chore getting it to recognize the different addresses, but you get it, it stays got.

phox

15. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    The brand was mentioned, its "One-For-All" or OFA for short. Under $20 remotes.

16. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I have a Harmony 880 controlling all 3 of my TiVos. I don't recall there being a "setting" in the Harmony software for remote address, but everytime I added a new TiVo, it asked to "learn" a couple of commands from the TiVo remote (ie, it asked to learn 3 commands by pointing my original TiVo remote to the IR sensor... I'm assuming based on this process, it picks up the remote address).

Each time, I set the remote address on the original TiVo remote to the correct number before doing the "learning" process in the Harmony software, and it always worked great. As far as I can tell, Harmony supports all of TiVos remote addresses using this methodology.