Remote Control Madness

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by TexasDVR, Aug 19, 2018.

1. TexasDVR

TexasDVR Member

Feb 20, 2013

Advertisements

Ok, got a new TiVo Bolt VOX 1T. Overall, like it fine. It does have a couple of bugs etc.

I actually like the new TiVo remote that came with it, it is a major improvement over the TiVo Premiere remote - I never used that one. But the new will only control the TiVo and the TV.

It would be nice to have one remote do it all, but it seems no one company does it all? At least not easily.

I had been using the discontinued Sony RM-VLZ620, but it seems they fail after about 4-5 years use. This is the second new one that has failed in about 8 years or so. Amazon still sells used ones etc. I suggest not buying the used ones.

Ok, I went with the new Inteset 4 in 1 model 422-3. It will program all the remotes I have, except the new TiVo remote. Apparently, the new TiVo remote uses some sort super high frequency or multi-something that the Ineset cannot do?

If anyone has any great ideas, that are easy, and/or a remote that will work with the new TiVo that would be good to know. IR is fine with me, I can give up the Voice part.

Thanks

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    To change the remote to IR (and lose voice), hold down TiVo and "C" until the LED turns red. Subsequent button pushes should have a red LED.

3. TexasDVR

TexasDVR Member

Feb 20, 2013
    I will re-word my question. I am looking for a universal remote that can have buttons programed to replace the TiVo Bolt VOX remote. The Inteset 442-3 is not it. Even though it promoted it could do it, it is only the older TiVo remotes that it duplicate.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The VOX remote by default is Bluetooth but it will also send IR as well if you put it in IR mode (or it fails to communicate with the TiVo in Bluetooth mode). Trying putting the TiVo remote in IR mode (I assume you are trying to get the Inteset 442-3 to learn the TiVo codes?).

Operating Mode Key Combination
    Switch to IR Hold down TiVo + Red C buttons until the activity
    indicator LED flashes red 3 times.
    Switch to RF Hold down the TiVo + Green D buttons until the
    activity indicator LED flashes amber 3 times.

Scott

5. elorimer

elorimer Member

Jan 1, 2012

Advertisements

I've found the easiest and cheapest IR is a Harmony 650, around $40. Hardest part is reprogramming for the back button.

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    No universal will control TiVo by RF. The Inteset or any Harmony you get will control it by IR only and do so perfectly well. If you are having a specific issue with the Inteset, we can definitely make it do anything any other universal can. I just programmed an Inteset to control 9 TiVos, so I know it’s possible. No learning required.

7. TexasDVR

TexasDVR Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Thanks for all the input guys, I do need it. I am the one that needs the learning!! LOL

My TiVo Bolt VOX 1T is just over a week old, and of course when I got it, I went through the guided set up, which also paired "its" remote to the new Bolt box. It all works as it should, even though I do not understand it.

So, yes I have tried to make the Inteset do what the TiVo remote can, sans the Voice of course. Surprisingly, one of the "codes" provided by Inteset has already got the "back" button programmed and it works. But there are about 10 or so other buttons that I cannot manually program. Such As: Exit, Thumb up/down, slow-mo, skip forward, skip back, Live TV, Skip, Netflix, and maybe one or two more.

I did try the "new" TiVo remote with the "old" Premiere with the new Bolt "unplugged" and it automatically did essentially all functions, but of course the light on the new remote was "red" when it was talking to the old TiVo Premiere. Once I unplugged the old TiVo Premiere and plugged back in the new Bolt box the new remote light went back to "yellow". So everything went back to exactly as it should.

So I want to program the Inteset the correct way without messing anything up.

So does this mean I must force the new TiVo remote to IR only? with this?
    1)
    Operating Mode Key Combination
    Switch to IR Hold down TiVo + Red C buttons until the activity
    indicator LED flashes red 3 times.
    2)
    Then program/learn my missing Inteset buttons from the new TiVo remote, I assume that is why this is not working?

Now once that is successful, then exactly what do I do to put the new TiVo remote back exactly like it was?

Will this process do it?
    Switch to RF Hold down the TiVo + Green D buttons until the
    activity indicator LED flashes amber 3 times.

Or must I do guided set up again? or must I do the pairing again? What is the fastest, easiest, and accurate way to do this? Again, I do not want to mess up the new TiVo remote or the Bolt box, and want them to function as they do now.

Thanks

8. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Forget all the stuff about switching the Tivo remote to/from IR mode. The other posters mean well, but they don't realize we can program the Inteset without learning. Hence, no need for IR mode at all.

I'm kind of puzzled by your list of functions that don't work. My Inteset has skip fwd, skip back and live built in. Commercial skip is the same as green and CH+ (CH- goes back to the previous commercial break), so that's also built in already too. Tivo remote has no Exit, so not sure what you were expecting there, but we can certainly add whatever Exit-ish function you want. For example, do you want Exit to do the Back function or the Zoom function? I'm not surprised about thumbs, Netflix and slo-mo since there are no physical buttons for those on the Inteset, but we can add those to any buttons you wish.

Here's how to add all the "missing" functions. To assign any of the following to a button, go to Tivo mode on the Inteset, then hold SET for 2 blinks. Press 9 9 4. Tap SET followed quickly by the 5 digit code of the function you want from the list below, then press the button you want to assign it to. You'll get 2 blinks if it was successful.

If you run out of buttons, you can add a 2nd function to any button by using Shift. In this case the SET button acts like a shift key. For example, you could put Slow on Shift-Pause. To program a shift, just press SET just before the final button assignment step. To use a shifted function, tap SET before the button and it will perform the shifted function. Note that shifted numbers work a little different because they require a double shift. Program them with a single press of SET, but press SET twice when you use them.

00056 Tivo
    00116 Up
    00118 Down
    00122 Left
    00120 Right
    00249 Select
    00150 Guide
    00123 Info
    00197 A[yellow]
    00201 B[blue]
    00199 C[red]
    00203 D[green]
    00215 Rewind
    00212 Fast_Fwd
    00214 Skip_Back
    00218 Skip_Fwd / (Dash -)
    00246 Ch+
    00250 Ch-
    00085 1
    00089 2
    00087 3
    00091 4
    00084 5
    00088 6
    00086 7
    00090 8
    00149 9
    00153 0
    00064 Back
    00213 Record
    00219 Pause
    00217 Play
    00121 Live
    00245 Thumbs Down
    00247 Thumbs Up
    00151 Clear
    00216 Slow
    00164 Zoom/Exit
    00155 Enter/Last
    00152 Standby
    00133 Netflix
    00062 Skip
    00166 My Shows

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    ClearToLand likes this.
  9. TexasDVR

TexasDVR Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Thanks mdavej

I may get to try a couple of those button codes late today or tomorrow.

Yes my TiVo remote has a exit button and I use it all the time? Example: While watching a recording and only part way through it, I may want to just exit and delete the program, exit allows me to do that.

Both the back button and the exit button are used about the same percentage.

I will post back the results, thanks.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The VOX remote has an Exit button.

11. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Joe, what does that button do, Zoom or something different? I assume Zoom since it's in that spot. If it is Zoom, then that's the code the OP should use on the Exit button of his remote.

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    From the web site:
    Reminder:
    For all Series 1-3 Remotes (without the A, B, C, D buttons) and the original Slide Remote, ZOOM will work as ‘EXIT’ if your Unified Entertainment System/ DVR is running the TiVo Experience 4.

IOW, Exit is the same as Zoom. It's relabeled, not redefined.

13. Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002
    What is the difference between "Exit" and "Back"?

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Exit takes you to full screen video. Back takes you to where you were. You don't need a video window to have Zoom/Exit work.

15. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Thanks for the confirmation. BTW, the Exit/Zoom command for TCP or Telnet is IRCODE WINDOW. This is not in the protocol document. Netflix and Skip are undocumented as well, but as you may have guessed, they're IRCODE SKIP and IRCODE NETFLIX. Of course the Skip function also works the same as D/Green and CH+ as I said earlier. I've tried a few other commands I thought might exist, like YOUTUBE, but it looks like they don't exist after all.

16. Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks. I wrongly assumed that Zoom=Back because they are in the same place. What button (if any) does Back correspond to on the old remotes?

17. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
  18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    How old? On C00270 remotes or the Premiere IR only, they have Back buttons. Since I run TE3 and TE4, I find myself using Back on TE3 a lot. The only difference is the physical button. On the VOX remote it has an indentation. But it's still too close to the Input button. On my main system I never use the Input button, but I have a Mini VOX in my bedroom. So I ditched the VOX remote but I still hit that Input button.

19. Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002
  20. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...