Remote control just started to multiple input...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Henwaydtv, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Henwaydtv

Henwaydtv New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Suddenly yesterday, with no other changes, my Series 2 Toshiba box is having issues with the remote control.
    If I move down once, it will try to move down between 3 and 9 times (instead of once). If I use the knob on the box the cursor moves properly.

I tried replacing the batteries to no avail... I restarted the TiVo box twice.

Is this a known issue at the box?
    Is it more likely to be with the remote itself?

I have a Pronto, so I'll program a key to duplicate the function of the remote control to narrow it down to the remote or not.

Since I now never use it as a DVD player, I was wondering if the Series1 remote control will work with it, or whether any newer peanut shaped Tivo remote works with my box...

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Check for IR interference. Usually by another remote with a stuck button.

3. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    What Jimspence said but also turn off all the lights and close your blinds/curtains and any other electronics (especially the Wii).

4. ack_thbbft

ack_thbbft New Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Funny, I have been experiencing a similar issue with my Series2, and it started around the same time. I was wondering if an unannounced update to the TiVo is causing a bug in the IR sensor.

With both my original TiVo remote and my Harmony 810 (which definitely means it's not the remote), signals are either not being detected (annoying when I want to stop fast-forwarding) or sometimes detecting multiple button presses (particularly annoying with the 30-sec skip). If I get up close, it's not as much of a problem, however. It's just as if the sensitivity of the IR sensor is out of whack.

At first, I thought it was being caused by my SlingBox's IR blaster, but I removed it and still had the problem.

I have a Wii, but it's hardly ever used and the IR bar is quite a distance from the TiVo, so I doubt that's causing any interference.

5. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    Did you look for other remotes in the room, under a book,in a cushion?

6. eric_n_dfw

eric_n_dfw Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Roanoke, TX
    I was having the exact same problem - turns out one of my other remotes was sitting in a little wire basket with just enough pressure to push a button.

Searching the forums always works!

Thanks guys/gals!