Remote codes problem with "input" function

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Pacomartin, Sep 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013

Advertisements

It seems like all the TVs I have requires a two button process to change the input source. One button selects the source (HDMI1, HDMI2,...) and the other one CONFIRMS your choice. I presume they design the remote this way as people complain about inadvertently changing the input.

The problem is that if I get the TiVo remote to adopt some functions of the TV remote (power, volume +/-, mute, input) the input button never works since it only does the function of the first button.

I bought a TV for my parents and it has another glitch, where if you push the FF button down to hard it changes the input to RF coaxial. I don't know what causes this problem. But since you can't use the TiVo remote to change the input function back to HDMI, you need to get the other remote. My 83 year old father refuses to use the TV for this reason.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  2. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    This would be more helpful if the TVs were identified by brand and model.

3. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    NS-19E310A13 Insignia
    NS-24L120A13 Insignia
    X322BV-SR SCEPTRE

Instructions from TV manual
    1) Turn on your TV, then press INPUT. The Input Source list opens.
    2) Press UP or DOWN to select a video input source, then press ENTER.

The operation picked up by the TiVo remote is that it opens a dialogue box with the Input Source list but there is no way to move up and down and then select the input source.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  4. TexasDVR

TexasDVR Member

Feb 20, 2013
    There might be more than one way to skin a cat

"Instructions from TV manual
    1) Turn on your TV, then press INPUT. The Input Source list opens.
    2) Press UP or DOWN to select a video input source, then press ENTER."

First of all I not familiar with your specific TV; but it might work in a similar fashion to others?

On your step "one" above, what happens if you push "input" more than once? Does the list turn off? OR does it then start moving the cursor up and/or down each time you push it? If pushing the "input" button a couple of times, and it moves down the list; then if you do nothing, will it then change to the different source?

Do you have a different "input" number listed by each "input" source? If you do, then what happens when you push the "number" button for a different input source?

IF on the other hand both steps one and two above are "required", then I think you would need a programable remote to get it done.

5. TexasDVR

TexasDVR Member

Feb 20, 2013

Advertisements

My dad is 93. I had to give up on the "remote" thing about 20 years ago; sometimes that is really the best thing do to. My great aunt is 101, and she thinks like a 35 year old; everyone is different.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    We have an Insignia in the Kitchen that behaves in the same way as described by the OP, pressing ‘Input’ on the TiVo remote displays the TV’s Input menu, the list of available inputs, with the currently active input highlighted. Pressing the ‘Input’ button on the TiVo remote again simply dismisses the Input menu, rather than cycling to the next selection as the active input.

And so we have to* keep the TV’s original remote available at this location to toggle between the TiVo and alternate sources.

* p.s. “Have to” isn’t exactly accurate, since we could switch to a universal remote with a discrete code for switching the TV’s active input — but then this location would have a different remote than the other 7 TV locations.

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Had the same issue with my earlier ViewSonic TV, the need to use a trifecta of keys to change input via the ViewSonic's remote: input, up/down, and enter. Making it impossible to change the input via the TiVo remote. And so I needed to use the original TV remote for that purpose. When I posted the issue here earlier, a suggestion was made that I could purchase a 3rd party remote that would have a direct code/signal for the change of the input to a specific source (and one super-knowledgeable forum member here identified a specific remote), that could be used to program a TiVo remote. (But there still would be an issue with the programmed key only being able to do that single change.)

Mixed blessing: the ViewSonic died on me and was replaced with a Samsung TV, whose input feature is worked with the input button alone, making it copasetic with the TiVo remote's input button.

This is a reason I long have advocated for a programmable Slide Pro remote that has 5 or so extra programmable keys--to handle idiosyncrasies of particular televisions, and to expand the functionality.

As to the FF button issue you're having, it sounds like there could be a malfunction there? I wonder if you telephoned TiVo if it would provide you with a replacement remote (I would emphasize the issue that your elderly father is having--TiVo support folks, in my experience, sometimes can be a sympathetic, considerate lot to consumers). Or, you could try purchasing a new remote and see if the issue is present.

8. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Maybe we need to keep a list of TV's and receivers whose input works as well as ones that don't. :(

Scott

9. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Here's the earlier thread I had on this issue, and forum member @mdavej's considerate help with it. If a remote fix via TiVo/a new remote isn't possible for the OP, perhaps @mdavej might have similar input code info. and help for the OP, e.g. so that at the very least a TiVo remote's Input button could be trained to switch back to the HDMI function.

Slide Pro Remote input button programming: limited functionality?

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Probably better to keep a list of those that work. It will be easier to maintain. All my Sony televisions work. I have a Sharp/Roku and LG that work. I had a Samsung that did not. And I guess by "work" you mean that you can move the selection and after a few seconds the selected input becomes active. Now, for a really short list, let's have one for Receivers/AVR units too. :)

Didn't Ted post that the new release will have CEC support? That will fix everything. :rolleyes:

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    My 2018 Samsung HD LED TV works.

12. steinbch

steinbch Active Member

Nov 23, 2007
    This isn’t a solution for everyone, but if you’re a little tech savvy it might work. I used a low cost Arduino, an IR receiver, and an IR transmitter to create my own input switching device. The Arduino is powered by USB and is programmed to receive an IR code from the TiVo remote (I used a random TV manufacturer code) and then transmits an IR code for my Onkyo receiver. The programming could be tweaked to send more than one IR code. The total cost was under $10.

krkaufman likes this.
  13. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    I had a monitor that worked like that. If you pushed INPUT again and again it would scroll through the options one entry at a time. Since you didn't have a SELECT button, it would still choose the option highlighted if you waited long enough. But sadly the Insignia's just toggle the list off and on if you push repeatedly.

The entries are not numbered so you can't choose one with the numbered keypads.

It's an annoyance to me, but my parents are completely lost.

14. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Inexpensive Vizio's that we bought my son for college worked fine (same way as repeated presses of Input progressed the selection and then just wait for the timeout). Our Onkyo receiver also works as it also has a code that moves from one input to the next without having to waits for a timeout, but we had to learn it with our older S3 Glo Remote and then the TiVo Side Remote Pro that we got with our Roamio Pro.

Scott

15. TexasDVR

TexasDVR Member

Feb 20, 2013
  16. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    The upcoming HDMI CEC support may solve most of these input issues. But if you want to solve it now, you're going to have to get a universal remote.

Another thing a universal can do is bypass the input menu entirely and go directly to a given input with a single command. I can help you find these codes if you get a UEI (like the Inteset above) or Harmony remote. I recommend the Inteset to Tivo users because it's quite similar to a Tivo remote and you can put any function for any device or any macro (activity) on any button as well as learn or program from a computer like you can with Harmony for very little money.

If you have cable, it's also likely that we can program the cable TV remote to control everything (Tivo, TV inputs/power, AVR inputs/power, etc.) using Remote Master and a JP1 cable.

The caveat is that the cheaper the TV, the less likely it is to have the discrete input commands I'm talking about. In this case, we can still at least give you the needed up/down/ok functions for manual input selection or selection via macros.

But I have to ask, why is so much input changing required? My octogenarian parents tend to watch a single source on each TV, i.e., just Tivo. Seems like this 19" of theirs might be, say, in a kitchen, hence probably won't be switching inputs to watch bluray or some streaming service that's not already on Tivo.

17. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

My cable company, RCN, uses TiVos as their cable boxes. There are a handful of cable companies that partner with TiVo.

I have been trying to do just that. I put a TV with just a DVR downstairs, but they have trouble on stairs. I set up three different TV's in one room with different functions (Roku, cable, and DVD player) , but my mother objected on design principals.

When TiVo included Netflix and Hulu and Youtube, that made it easier as you don't have to change Inputs. But then she wanted to watch a show that was on Acorn TV and I had to use the Roku.

One of the TV's switches inputs when you hit the fast forward too hard with the TiVo remote. I don't know why it does that, but you have to change it back with the TV remote. The same TV also gets a shaky video once in a while. It goes away if you change inputs temporarily. Once again, I don't know why it does that.

Prior to September 2009 the cable was analog and there were no set top boxes. My father has no interest in Video on Demand, DVRs, HD or even pausing Live TV. The TVs were all 20 years old and they had no inputs or even HD. So in his mind everything that has been added in the last 9 years just makes his life difficult. He wants me to put it back the way it was, but I can't do that.

18. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Since your cable remote is actually a Tivo remote, we can't really work with that.

I think I would just wait a bit for the CEC update from Tivo, assuming RCN boxes get it. That way, you can set up the Roku to switch the TV to its input when a Roku button is pressed or to the Tivo input when a Tivo button is pressed.

If you want a solution now, pick up a cheap (but not too cheap) Harmony like the 665 or 650 (avoid the much more limited 350). It will control everything and switch inputs automatically, assuming you have any Roku EXCEPT the stick. Get one Harmony to start, and if you like it, get additional ones for each room. Then put all your other remotes in a drawer so they're not tempted to use them again.

If you want to try the JP1 thing, that will be cheapest over all but more involved in terms of learning how to program it.

As for some Tivo commands affecting the TV, there is no way to fix that besides replacing the TV with a different brand. As cheap as TVs are these days, I'd just replace it. While you're at it, if you get a Smart TV that's Roku (i.e., TCL) or Android, then it can run the Acorn app.

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ... because all variants of the Roku Streaming Stick do NOT support IR remote control.