Remote Codes for Yamaha RX-V383 Receiver

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by NewAtThisPleaseBeEasy, Sep 18, 2018.

1. NewAtThisPleaseBeEasy

NewAtThisPleaseBeEasy New Member

Sep 18, 2018

Advertisements

All,

First, apologies if this is the wrong place or form, but as the handle suggests, I'm new at this. I have a Tivo Series 4 and a Yamaha RX-V383 A/V Receiver. I'm tried all the remote codes but have been unable to find one that lets me control the A/V Receiver volume, let alone turn it on and off with the TV. I'm stuck using two remotes right now. Short of getting a new, universal remote, is there anything I can do?

Thanks!

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Your programming procedure is probably wrong because the built in Yamaha codes should work fine. On and Off may not be do-able, however, because Yamaha typically uses two separate codes for that, and you've only got one button.

3. NewAtThisPleaseBeEasy

Sep 18, 2018
    I mean, I held tv power and tivo home until solid light came on, put in the four digit code, and tried the mute button in line with these instructions: https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/How-to-Program-a-Remote-to-Control-a-TV-Stereo

I'm wondering whether it is a hardware issue. I did also have this problem with my previous Sony soundbar, and I do think I was able to get it to work on the soundbar at the very beginning, but at some point it stopped. So now with the Yamaha A/V receiver having a similar problem, maybe something is wrong with my Tivo? Or maybe things are just incompatible?

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Note that the TiVo itself doesn't have anything to do with the remote codes and signals sent to the receiver. That's all handled by the TiVo remote.

Scott

5. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015

Advertisements

The posted procedure is for TV, not AV. Follow the onscreen instructions for Set AV Vol and Mute.

Sometimes I have to do a full reset on the remote before it will take a different code. I don’t remember the reset steps. You’ll have to look them up.

EDIT: Here's the reset I'm talking about. Do that first, then reprogram the AV using the MUTE procedure onscreen.

https://support.tivo.com/articles/I...-Perform-a-Global-Reset-for-my-Remote-Control

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The code for A/V Volume and Mute is 1028 for my RX-V867. I use the AVR's Scene button for power and to change inputs. It has 12 and I have six devices connected.

I don't use ARC or CEC/HDMI control.

7. NewAtThisPleaseBeEasy

Sep 18, 2018
    Interesting, I'll have to try that when I get home. But for what it's worth, aren't the TV and AV programming basically the same procedure, i.e. just a different menu and different codes, but same process with holding TV Power and Tivo, entering codes, etc.?

8. NewAtThisPleaseBeEasy

Sep 18, 2018
    Thanks, this helps. However, I did just get a new remote, which is why I'm trying to sort this out.

9. NewAtThisPleaseBeEasy

Sep 18, 2018
    Sorry, but as the user name suggests, I'm not sure I understand all of this. I'll try Google of course, just noting that I'm only at a basic level of understanding. This is my first A/V receiver, for example.

10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    No, they are not the same procedure. That's what I'm trying to say. For AV, use the MUTE button procedure.

11. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I do not have your specific model of Yamaha receiver, but thought I would add a comment that might help.

As previously noted, Yamaha usually has a DIFFERENT button for both on and off, and this can be a real pain with some universal remotes. But even though the TiVo remotes do not really have any "universal" functions, the On/Off function with just the one power button is one thing that has always worked for me. I do not know how TiVo makes that work, especially since none of my other universal remotes can do it, but just by following the exact instructions (IN ORDER, do the TV part first, then the AVR part) from the TiVo box remote programming screens, my remotes have always turned on and off both my TV and Yamaha receiver together. When the operation begins to get unreliable, it means the remote batteries are getting weak.

And my TiVo remote handles my Yamaha AVR volume perfectly also. One thing that the TiVo documentation has said wrong in the past is that you could also control the AVR input - this is false. I think they finally changed that documentation, but just know that the Input button on the TiVo remote will ONLY work with the TV (and not even that if your TV needs you to hit a select button to change inputs).