Remote Battery Life

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by brimorga, Nov 15, 2018.

1. brimorga

brimorga Member

Oct 22, 2016

Advertisements

Does anyone else notice any inconsistencies in the battery life for a standard RF tivo remote (not Vox). I have a couple of remotes where the battery seems to die after just a few weeks, even with very little use, and then a have a couple of other remotes and the battery seems to last months, with similar usage patterns. It seems very strange but this pattern has been consistent for quite a while.

For example, on one mini, the remote always seemed to die every couple weeks, so then I took a remote from a less used location and swapped it. The swapped remote now lasts for a couple of months, while the other remote still only lasts for a few weeks, even in a location that is rarely used. I've tried all different kinds of batteries but it seems to be the remote itself that is the problem.

I have another set of remotes where I see the same behavior, so I know it's not just that one random remote I have the problem. I basically have 2 'good remotes' and 2 'bad remotes'. Is it just me? Is there something I can do to fix this? (short of a new remote)

2. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    My son had a remote that was doing this. He called TiVo and they sent him a new one, no charge.

3. ohboy710

ohboy710 Member

Jun 30, 2008
    I had one bedroom Mini that died every month but the rest would last at least a year. I called TiVo and they also sent me a new one free.

4. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    If it happened to several people I guess it may be something in the remote... I have used from day one, Eneloop rechargeables and get many months out of them.

5. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas

Advertisements

Our tivo remote dies every few weeks, the two tivo mini remotes last a long time.

We don't use our tivo that much (other than to record everything and stream to the minis), so we now just leave the batteries out when not in use.

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Call and have them send you a new, replacement, free remote . . . .

7. brimorga

brimorga Member

Oct 22, 2016
    I did this, new remote on the way. Thanks Mike!!

Mikeguy likes this.
  8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you have an RF remote it's battery level is shown in System Information. I find Lithium batteries last about a year under heavy use then die a swift death.
    TE3-SI-3.JPG

Just scroll down 3x.

9. sender_name

sender_name I remember XM 202!

Feb 11, 2005
    Northboro Ma
    I can add on something bizarre to this...It's been happening with the remote for my mini and I use rechargeable batteries so I thought they were at fault...I hope you people haven't been throwing both batteries away, because whether it's rechargeable or regular alkaline ONLY the left battery is dead...It's voltage reads less than 0.1V while the right battery will read 1.1 to 1.3V, practically brand new! If you put a fresh battery in the left side it will work again..and then of course go dead in a few days. Obviously tivo recognizes this issue and has sent a new remote...I need to contact them as well, but just sharing some weird info...
    [​IMG]

Mikeguy likes this.
  10. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    That is weird... But unless you tested the voltage before use, it could be the battery and not the remote. Charge the problem battery again and check the voltage after 24 hours off the charger. Then about 7-30 days later. If the voltage is dropping, it may be the battery itself. Good chance the battery may not get a full charge.

11. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Just yesterday I was shocked my Bolt remote was dead. Put 2 brand new brand name batteries in...we will see what happens.

12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    What does System Information show as battery level?

13. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Use Energizer lithium, will last a very long time, I put mine in October 2019 and the power still reads 100%. They do cost a little more.

Link Amazon.com : AA Energizer lithium

philco782 likes this.
  14. DBrunetti

DBrunetti Active Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Connecticut
    I have never had good luck using the Energizer lithium batteries on TiVo remotes. I have a Roamio Plus and three minis (one Vox) and have tried the lithium batteries several times on different remotes with the same result. The remote works great for a short while and then it seems to lock up with the yellow led constantly on. After removing the lithium batteries and replacing with alkalines the remote still refuses to work for quite awhile, sometimes until the next day. The lithiums I used were brand new and the battery level show 100%.

15. sender_name

Feb 11, 2005
    Northboro Ma
    I always check the batteries first. It's been happening so often. I put 2 fresh batteries reading 1.35V in (rechargeable this time) and a few days later one will read 1.1 and the other 0.0V Tivo had me reset the remote and then re-pair it. I'm now waiting to see if that worked. There was some talk of it not being properly paired and continuing to seek the remote and the remote continuously responding..

16. philco782

philco782 Active Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida
    I use Eneloops in my Slide Pro remotes, because those remotes sure seem thirsty. When it comes time to recharge them, each battery terminates charge very nearly the same time, so they are being consumed at an equal pace.

sender_name likes this.
  17. wizwor

wizwor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013
    I had this problem. I solved it by putting the remote on the floor after changing channels so I don't sleep on it all night. As a bonus, I rarely wake up watching PBS these days.

sender_name likes this.
  18. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    My last post about a dead Bolt remote was on the 12th. Dead again 2 days ago. That's 12 days. So I called Tivo ready for battle. The first rep shut me down. I demanded a supervisor as he told me they were out if remotes but I could buy a lux. I stood firm. Got the supervisor. Told her I've had 3 boxes for years and just bought a Stream4k. She put me on hold. Then "as a one time courtesy" she us sending me lux remote. I guess they really were out of regular remotes. This bought a lot of loyalty from me to Tivo.

sender_name and Mikeguy like this.
  19. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    :up::clapping: (to both you and, ultimately, TiVo).

20. sender_name

Feb 11, 2005
    Northboro Ma
    There's definitely an issue with random remotes because I have a Bolt, Mini and a Mini VOX...the Bolt remote is used all day...I only use the mini to watch the news at breakfast in the kitchen or when we USE TO have sports...but that remote dies once a week...the others are on original batteries.
    I have the amazon basics...same deal..but they only really charge to about 1.35V and they will no longer power the remote when less than 1.0V...