Reminder, connect your lifetime S2/S3/Premieres etc

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tommage1, Jul 10, 2020.

1. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Time to connect them. In case they have a $99 lifetime transfer deal coming up. Last two years it's been 3/4th week in July? Not sure if they are going to have one this year, what do they have for sale? Last I checked the ONLY DVR they have for sale is the cable Edge. Bolt/Vox and minis seem to be gone. And they may have sold all the Edge OTA models to Channel Master.

I have some S2s with lifetime that I connected recently. I don't need an Edge so might sell the codes/TSNs (or full units) if they have a transfer sale. Would end up listing them in the for sale thread here. From what I see based on what they have available now the deal might be $99 transfer to a $400 cable Edge? Or nothing at all................

snerd and dmk1974 like this.
  2. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Had an afterthought on this. Didn't they just have a sale on the Edge, $200 off? Ended June 26th? So if they have a transfer sale they might wait until July 27 or later. If they don't people might return the $200 off Edge during the 30 day return period to get the $99 transfer deal. Again assuming they have one.

3. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    I'm ready to go.:)

4. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Mine has been disconnected for about 2 years now. Needs capacitor service. I thought I did a transfer deal to my bolt from a couple years back when it started exhibiting issues. But I think it was just get a new box with lifetime for X deal. When I look at my account it seems that way......

upload_2020-7-10_13-30-51.png

5. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    I'm assuming you mean swollen capacitors on the power supply? If so you can buy a power supply. Would have to make sure what you are buying is new/refurbished or used with no swollen capacitors. Or check local for sale sites like Craigslist etc, can find used S3/S3HD for $10-20 without service. Just buy for the power supply and swap it in to your lifetime unit.

6. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Member

May 22, 2020
    Or for those with a bit of patience and a bit of skill soldering, recap the existing supply (if one has a local electronic surplus store nearby the capacitors are often really cheap). Recapping power supplies and even mainboards were all the rage during the great capacitor plague of the early 2000's. Of course, a replacement power supply is the easier route.

7. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Sale on Edge just ended and right before that the Bolts were on sale so perhaps that is it for a while.

8. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Hard to say. Different kind of sale, the July sale is usually a $99 lifetime transfer deal. It's almost like they are clearing out ALL DVRs, only one left for sale at Tivo website is cable Edge. Question is, is it the virus, will they restock when things get closer to normal again? Or are they getting out of the DVR business (Best Buy dropping them is not a good sign.) If getting out of DVR business how long will they support the DVRs? I would hope at least 4-5 years as they have been selling a bunch with lifetime service. From what I understand a good part of their profit is selling user viewing info so they should continue support. TE4 at least, TE3 who knows, already some standard Tivo functions can brick a TE3 device.

9. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Connecting my Premiere now and I had completely forgotten how S......L.....O.....W that thing is.

10. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Slow yes. Still nice as a storage device. Just transfer non copyrighted shows from your main Tivo to the Premiere. And watch through the main Tivo by streaming from the Premiere. Can power down the Premiere when not in use. Works well for me, I am using all ethernet for network, not sure how the streaming would be with Wifi. Can have up to 8TB drive in Premiere, or anything up to that, lot of storage. If main Tivo is on TE3 can transfer back and forth directly. If main on TE4 can transfer direct to Premiere but would have to use Tivo Online to transfer back.

Can even use a cable only Premiere as a storage device I think. Don't need a cable card if not recording anything. Do have to have Tivo subscription of course, and both/all devices on same account for transfers/streaming.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  11. FiosUser

FiosUser Member

Nov 16, 2007
    It is getting close to the end of July. Anyone have any indication of a trade in offer yet? I mean Transfer offer.

12. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    Too bad the $600 Edge deal isn't $100 less for transferring a sub from an older box. Or maybe even $150-$200 less for a refurbed Edge with lifetime transfer. THAT would be great (even if I had to deal with TE4).