Release Notes or Patch Notes

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by AnimusF6, Jun 28, 2011.

1. AnimusF6

AnimusF6 New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Vienna, VA
    The last topic pertaining to release notes or patch notes was back in 2007, and had little to no resolution. With the subsequent release of Premiere, I was wondering if TiVo had changed their policy and started to make release notes or patch notes available.

If TiVo is not making those notes available, is there a place here in the forums where community members build their own unofficial patch notes? Thank you for your help!

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Nope. TiVo doesn't release details about updates.

Usually we are left to stumble across new features though occasionally TiVodesign may tweet about something new.

Many of us have been asking for a long time and have just given up.

3. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    I have to say with the Premire there have been some very obscure bugs that can be interpreted differently. We that have dealt with Tivo bugs over the years and have come to realize that they never admit severe bugs that have no work-around and they never admit what a new release is supposed to fix. To some extent, I can understand. There are some bugs that they cannot reproduce or ensure they've fixed. But another manufacturer I know (AMD) does and they still have not fixed my problem. It's a double edged sword. I have a stable S3 (I think) and a stable HD (I think) and they're not working on them (I hope as much as the Premiere). I've got a Premire XL with new features and...new bugs that they are working on. Hold your breath and hope they keep working on your Premiere. It is apparent that they are working, but not what they are working on. Either have faith (cross fingers) or move on. Sorry, but that's become apparent. Ask not what Tivo can/has do/done for you....

4. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    The problem is when you introduce new features you shouldn't leave your customers to find it. You should tell them about it rather than leaving your customer wondering if something has always been there.

For example, we discovered remote deletion was now an option on the transfer screen. TiVo didn't tell us.

It doesn't make sense to me to add features without telling the very people who would use those features. Not only do they have their own blog they could post on, but they could just send a message to your TiVo.

5. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    I would never challenge you as you have been on this forum for 10 years and more than 5500 posts...........(read the dots as haven't you learned yet)

I would love to believe that the company I've paid more than about $5k to over the past 5 years would give me something,......(more dots)...., but you have to admit that Tivo has not been forthcoming ever! (Notice the bang there?) We people that try to help newbies and other people that drift from the path and we who know software, hardware and bug resolution/repair deployment, know that Tivo has....(more dots) drifted from the path.

That being said. I now believe that the model that Tivo is using for software release is a rogue model. There are software engineers in Tivo that are introducing new features into the software that the controllers of release are not aware of. This is made obvious by the unpublished features that we discover and backdoors. This argument is futher obviated by the fact that new bugs are introduced. I cannot imagine the regression testing that is required for a Tivo release. My company has a product that takes 9 (NINE) months to do a full regression test. We have to make calls whether that kind of testing is required based on impcat to the software and functionality. As engineering manager, I have been burned as have Tivo. You sometimes weigh the few without regard to the many which can result in wider spread problems (few=most of us on this forum).

On a different facet, people on this forum think that TivoJerry and the other Tivo marketing guys are in intimate contact with what the guys in engineering are doing/adding/changing/improving/fixing. That simply is not the case in Tivo's case (or mine). Tivo mangement is not focused on OUR desires (as you know) and marketing/sales/engineering are running on autopilot. In that case, engineering is running free will and offering to sales and marketing anything they can provide to keep them (AND YOU AND ME) interested (or what they think will keep us interested). This results in quick fixes/releases that may fix problems, but also may create new problems. Engineering wants to do the right thing. Unfortunately, you, me and everyone else are all beta customers....(more dots) and I'm not completely all bad with that. At least they are trying and caring (albeit not completly in touch).

I imagine that every Tivo engineer has the latest Tivo at home and like you and me (and most of us geeky guys that frequent this forum) have a list of problems. Most of them are probably updated to the latest hardware and are unmarried or non-Tivo using or do not use mixed series without regard to the cost of Tivo. They need to come to us/go to the field to see our problems. That's what my company does when we have similar unreproducible problems. Tivo's model does not go there now.

Management is in the way of Marketing and Sales and they are in the way of engineering providing support for S3's and HD's and current Premiere problems. Maybe engineering knows something, but you have to understand that there's no revenue without selling new boxes and new subs. Marketing and engineering have no voice in the company because they are not making money. Management is focused elsewhere (excuse me for this...) PERIOD!

6. AnimusF6

AnimusF6 New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Vienna, VA
    Sounds like they need a solid product manager. Too bad I'm already employed. ; )

Thank you for all of the replies. It isn't the answer I'd hoped to receive, but it is certainly just as helpful as I remember the TiVo Community being from way back in the day.