Register Review

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by jonphil, May 25, 2011.

1. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
  2. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    Pretty dead on, isn't it.

3. Brangdon

Brangdon New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK
    A lot of negative remarks in the comments, though. Several people claiming to have returned it.

4. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    Sky TV workers? ;) I joke but I do think some people are having it installed for one day not understanding any of it and asking to have it taken back out again. I wonder why they even ordered Tivo in the first place to then send it straight back?

5. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    some of the reasons for the newbies returning them are hilarious, i'm impressed with the VM forum mods ability to keep a civil tongue in their heads.

6. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    Funny, isn't it :)

7. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    you wouldn't believe the amount of posts i've had ready to go that would earn me a lifetime ban (at the least)...

8. scgf

scgf New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Market...
    You really haven't a clue! Take off your blinkers and see the VM TiVo for what it is. It has poor picture quality and a dire, messy, confusing interface.

I sent mine back for these reasons and I know of several others who returned their TiVos for similar reasons.

Technology moves on. There is nowhere near such a gap between current technology and TiVo as there was 10 years ago. In those days, the PVR just did not exist - people were using video recorders. TiVo was absolutely revolutionary and I loved mine.

The UI (or Human Interface) has been improved on by companies like Apple and is now a game changer. TiVo just isn't up there at all. I really would have thought in over 10 years they would have done something with it and moved it forward.

I now have a 3View Freeview PVR which has two tuners, HD and wishlists. OK, it is not quite up to what the TiVo offers, but it is not that far off and I don't have to pay a monthly subscription. For what I need it fits the bill admirably.

9. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Firstly, please do not insult my opinion by suggestion I "don't have a clue".
    You seriously think this is better than Tivo? I don't. I think it looks awful.

[​IMG]

And only two tuners? Seriously? I thought you said it was better than Tivo?

10. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    comparing to other PVRs TiVo is still ahead IMO
    Apple haven't even made a PVR, so that's a bizarre point to make.

I agree to an extent - I'm surprised at how little has changed software-wise from S1, apart from moving to a scalable interface with the HD UI.

But that just shows how well thought out and complete the tivo core software was.

If the VM TiVo smooth scrolled screens (should be possible in flash) it would also seem faster and more polished.
    Note the way menus slide on and off the screen on S1 Tivos.

So you admit to settling on an inferior device because it has no monthly sub then ? :D

11. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    and if it's me who doesn't have a clue then you're misunderstanding my post. newbies who are ranting about the 8 second skip back are the ones who don't have a clue.

12. scgf

scgf New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Market...
    I think you have made some very strange posts in the last year or so, yes. Indeed. I used to value what you had to say, but not any more. Not at all!

Where did I say the 3View was better than TiVo? Where did I say the 3View interface was nice? I actually think it's pretty awful!

What I did say is I that for me it is fine, given that there is no monthly cost involved. Two tuners are OK by me - I am quite selective about what I watch/record and the easy access to iPlayer means my needs are well satisfied.

13. scgf

scgf New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Market...
    Apple don't make a PVR. Of course they don't. The closest thing they have is Apple TV. The point I was making was about the interface between human and machine. Apple do this very well and have raised the barr. I, and many others, have been spoilt by their attention to detail and other UIs can look very poor in comparison. IMO not enough attention is paid by most other companies to getting this right.

I admit to settling for a PVR which has less functionality than TiVo but does everything I need. More importantly it gives me better picture quality on the channels I watch than TiVo. The icing on the cake is that there is no monthly sub.

14. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Not that I care at all but... like what? :confused:

That was my interpretation of your post. Sorry if I mis-understood. Or perhaps you weren't clear enough.

So why not get a Tivo then? It's got three tuners for a start ;)

15. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    Granted the situation depends on your VM package, but I pay a paltry £3/month extra for my TiVo.

Yes it is buggier/slower than the S1 but it is the S1 in essence with the benefits of the extra tuners, storage and HD.

I wouldn't put up with some shite PVR like that instead of TiVo.

16. alextegg

alextegg Tall Member

May 21, 2002
    Kingston...
    :up: What he said :)

I take the point on the interface, it could be a lot better (I don't think it's that bad!), but what's wrong with the picture quality? I watch mostly HD channels now on my 40 inch LCD TV with proper surround sound where supported, I have no complaints at all in that area?

17. Jong1

Jong1 New Member

May 6, 2011
    +1 to all that.

Picture quality great ( I know it has some problems with some TVs (not mine), which they are planning to fix).

Yes, TiVo need to finish their migration from SD to HD, but overall I find it superb compared to both the V+ and Sky HD+. It does not quite have the slickness of modern (ipad etc.) interfaces, but still way ahead of other PVRs. IMO the limitations, such as they are, are more imposed by using a traditional remote control, rather than anything else.

18. scgf

scgf New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Market...
    For me, VM TV alone (the only service I have) costs me around £30 a month. If all I had to pay was £3 I might have kept my V+ box.

How do you manage to get VM Cable TV for £3 a month?

FYI the 3View is probably the best Freeview HD PVR out there and is being actively developed. It has a better picture quality than TiVo, copes better than any other Freeview PVR with series links and costs me nothing at all each month.

Your criticism would be fairer if you called the Freeview platform shite, not this particular PVR. The TiVo debacle just got me thinking about what I watch on TV and I realised it was 98% channels which were also on the Freeview platform. I consider I have bought the best Freeview PVR - if there were a TiVo PVR with better picture quality than the VM offering I would almost certainly have bought that. I just wasn't happy spending £33 a month + £150 for the VM TiVo only to find I had downgraded in terms of picture quality.

19. kmusgrave

kmusgrave New Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Isleworth, UK
    They actually said

20. scgf

scgf New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Market...
    I did realise that. My question was somewhat tongue-in-cheek because we were really comparing the cost of the service - it isn't really fair one person to say words to the effect of 'my service is free' and another to come back with a figure of £3 for their service as if this is a valid comparison.