refurbished tivos

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by jhatru, Feb 28, 2006.

1. jhatru

jhatru New Member

Feb 22, 2006

Advertisements

are refurbished tivo's reliable?

2. cdeckert219

cdeckert219 technogeek

Jan 7, 2006
    San Diego
    I bought one a month ago and it works like a charm! It was in "new" condition and haven't had a single problem. Bought it online from TiVo; paid for the first year, so it was only $29 for the 40 hour unit.

3. Mar 1, 2006 #3 of 11
    jhatru

jhatru New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    hwo much did you pay

4. Mar 1, 2006 #4 of 11
    jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    You don't have to post this same question in each forum.

See my response in the coffee house

Jim

5. Mar 1, 2006 #5 of 11
    woodle48

woodle48 New Member

Jan 13, 2003
    Severna...

Advertisements

My Series 2 80 hour TiVo's hard drive failed and I got a refurbished one in June of last year to replace it since I paid for a lifetime contract. That refurbished unit worked well until January of this year when it started freezing up at least 4 times weekly. I am currently in the process of getting another refurbished unit. I'm hoping this one lasts longer.

6. Mar 7, 2006 #6 of 11
    Jerry®

Jerry® TiVOHNOYOUDIDN'T

Jan 25, 2006
    Macomb, IL
    I bought a refurbished HUMAX HT800 Series 2 TiVO via TiVo's website in January for $149 after $150 mail-in rebate. I've had no problems with it and it works like a charm.

7. ConfusedBob

ConfusedBob New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I bought a refurbished HD 3 over the summer and it had problems from the beginning with freezing picture, jumping frames, etc. I got a replacement (refurbished one again) after a couple of months of trying to eliminate other problems. Now the second set is giving me the same problem (after 3 months of use). Tech support says I should keep it away from big speakers. I am not sure if that is really the cause (there is a speaker about 1 feet away but it is not huge).

8. cdeckert219

cdeckert219 technogeek

Jan 7, 2006
    San Diego
    As a follow-up to my earlier post, 2 years later my refurb has not had a single problem. I'm thinking of putting in a larger drive and transferring all my old home movies to it (from my PC).

9. mnisc

mnisc New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I have a series 1 that I got in the middle of 2002, and its still working fine. Not going to work with the digital upgrade, so Ill have to get a new one. Looking at my subscriptions is nostalgic. Married With Children, etc.

10. EvilMidniteBombr

EvilMidniteBombr what bomz at midnite

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    Talk about digging up an old thread! ;)

I have purchased two refurbed TiVos. The first was a RS-TX20 bought in May of '06. The second was a TiVo HD bought in March '08.

The RS-TX20 worked wonderfully right out of the box. The hard drive failed after about 2 months. Fortunately it was still within the 90 warranty and was replaced with no cost to me other than shipping to the repair facility. It is still working to this day.

The TiVo HD, on the other hand, failed within a few hours out of the box. I contacted TiVo and sent the unit back, again only paying shipping. It was replaced with, as best I can tell, a completely new TiVo in the retail box. No problems since. I put a larger hard drive in it a few months ago. The original HD is being put back for back up in case this one should fail.

11. cdeckert219

cdeckert219 technogeek

Jan 7, 2006
    San Diego
    Saw activity on this thread, so I'll give an update.

The S2 refurb is still going strong. I dropped the subscription in April when I replaced it with a refurbished HD. Coincidentally, just today I gave the S2 to my nieces. They're going to get a subscription for it. Never did transfer the old home videos to it...

My two HD refurbs are working like a charm, also.