refurbished tivos and mini at woot

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by poppagene, Feb 21, 2015.

1. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001

Advertisements

woot has some good deals on refurbished tivos today. they have a refurbished mini for $99.99 plus $5 shipping

http://www.woot.com/plus/tivo-systems-for-your-viewing-pleasure

2. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I picked up a mini.

3. passname22

passname22 New Member

Feb 17, 2015
    first gen mini. I would pay extra for 2nd gen for matching remote for my romaio and faster chip. I wish these were 2nd gen, I would buy 3 of them at this price.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You realize, there is no second gen out there. They just changed the remote.

5. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA

Advertisements

Not correct. Old model is 92000, new model is 93000. To power the RF Roamio remote requires new guts to support RF (which were on display at the FCC last fall). Along with those new guts, Sam Biller has done some testing and sees improved performance, so there could be a memory boost (more? faster?) or improved processor. My TiVo Mini 2 is also like .3 ounces lighter than my TiVo Mini 1s and has a better fitting power cord/plug, for whatever that's worth.

Having said that, Amazon is selling the 1st gen mini for $114.88 - it's new not refurb and ships free, and surely faster than Woot. I'd go with Amazon. Actually, I'd go with Amazon if considering the second gen TiVo Mini too - it's a few bucks cheaper than TiVo.com, also ships free and fast.

http://www.amazon.com/s/url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=tivo+mini

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I wonder where he got the idea that all they changed was the remote.....

7. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    It's just a matter of perspective. But for the RF remote and (I think) faster storage, it's otherwise a cross-grade. It's like a Mini 1.5. :)

8. Caris

Caris New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Does the Woot deal for the Mini come with Lifetime? I couldn't tell. Tivo has the mini with lifetime for $149. right now. Isn't that a better deal?

I am considering picking up one more mini and I'm trying to decide. Leaning toward the Tivo site with Lifetime.

9. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    When I originally blogged the "new" Mini, all we knew for sure was that an RF remote was included and the lack of info was compounded by both a contact in the Marketing department and Customer Support staff knowing nothing of a new Mini at launch (which is pretty ridiculous when you consider they only sell a handful of products - but I guess par for the course given similar, early Roamio OTA miscommunication).

Fortunately, we now have confirmation that there's more to it than the remote. But, yeah, there's some semantics at play given the minor changes and same enclosure. It's a "new" model, but is it significant enough to matter? For the same money, you'd obviously take the new one. For 1/3rd less, maybe not. I'm reluctant to buy refurbs that include remotes or gaming controllers given some prior experiences (with companies other than TiVo).

All TiVo Minis purchased by early May should include Lifetime, irrespective of merchant. Will be interesting to see if they extend the promo again or do something different.

10. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Slight correction........."All TiVo Minis purchased and activated by early May [remove]should[/remove] include Lifetime"

11. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Yeah, I just got online specifically to amend that earlier statement (and to avoid snow shoveling). Thanks!

12. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm not sure I would. The 2nd gen Mini on Amazon is currently only available from a 3rd party seller. I find it hard to believe that some 3rd party seller has gotten stock of the 2nd gen Mini before Amazon has. Until Amazon proper gets the 2nd gen Mini in stock, I'd recommend people just buy them directly from TiVo so you're sure about what you are getting.

13. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Ah, didn't realize the Amazon inventory was still 'out of stock.' But the two reseller listings do specifically say it's the RF remote model and I know Amazon requires all their merchants provide for timely returns, etc. Having said that, I'd probably wait too - good catch.

The new Mini 1 for $115 direct from Amazon is still a good deal worth considering. Not sure what Woot shipping is these days, but 10 bucks or so for new vs refurb is a no brainer for me.

14. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    The one thing that I DO like about refurbs is that it usually means that a bench tech had to check it out personally and ensure that everything is working properly, numbers are to spec, etc. That's more than I can say for new items that are just flung off an assembly line, onto a pallet and shipped.

Also, most "refurbs" are just returned units by customers that didn't want them for one reason or another and they have to be checked out by a tech before they can be resold. Not necessarily a unit that had a part go bad or something.

15. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I have to pay 8% sales tax if I buy from TiVo or Amazon, so I like resellers that remove that cost. For the Mini2 if I bought it from TiVo it would be $162, Amazon $159.68, and $145 from the Amazon reseller. I would take the chance on the reseller. Of course the way Amazon works the price will be different a soon as they actually have it in stock again - but likely still cheaper for someone like me to buy from a reseller.

16. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Amazon never had the Mini 2 in stock ever. I don't trust these 3rd party sellers or Ebay. I especially will never buy from W* that inflate the price, esp on the Stream.

I already have a 1st gen from Amazon, I'll buy no one else and wait for their stock on the Mini 2 and Stream. Hoping they will get them at the same time.

17. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Now in stock for $149.

18. Islanti

Islanti Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Georgetown, TX
    My refurb Mini from Woot wouldn't pair up with my Roamio Pro. Two other Minis worked fine in the same place in my house. Tivo is replacing it for free under warranty at least.

19. bmille05

bmille05 New Member

Feb 26, 2014
    I've bought a lot of items from Woot. Never had any issues.

20. skyline987

skyline987 New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    I'm having an issue connecting my Mini also. I checked out the Discussion for the item on Woot and apparently quite a few others are having problems pairing too.