Refurb S3 - Good idea? Bad idea?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Mongoos150, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Mongoos150

Mongoos150 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hi All-
    I'm a newcomer to these parts... Howdy! I've never owned (or even used) a TiVo before, but am excited to delve into the world of TiVo. That being said, I'm clueless as to what a refurbed S3 box would present to me in terms of problems, software issues, etc... I would really prefer a S3 - and can get a refurbed S3 (with 1 year of service) for about $655. I could also go the new TiVoHD route for about $180 less ($450 with 1 year of service), but it's a new box. Any suggestions? I'd love input. Thanks!

2. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Bad idea. The old S3 is essentially dead in the water with the new tivo HD, announced today and shipping in a week. Buy a tivo HD.

3. Mongoos150

Mongoos150 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Dead in the water? I'm pretty sure the TivoHD won't be killing off the S3, just opening up HD for the masses who want a TiVo. The draws to the S3 over the new HD is the larger HD (though I know I can upgrade myself later), the OLED display, the nicer remote, and the possibility of better menus/software on the S3. Can someone put my worries at ease? For only $180, it doesn't seem like that much of a price difference to go to the S3 (though I'm not sure if a refurb would be a good idea). I know Apple does refurb computers/iPods well, but I'm not sure about how Tivo handles refurb units (though I know they carry the same warranty).

4. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Even if the TiVo S3 is killed by the TiVo HD (which I think is more likely than Mongoos does), the two are essentially the same device, from the software perspective, and so the S3 isn't "dead". As long as support is provided for the TiVo HD, then support will be provided for the TiVo S3.

Personally, I would buy the TiVo HD instead of the TiVo S3, but just because I don't see the difference in price being worth it. If you could get the TiVo S3 at $399, that would be another story perhaps...