Refurb catches on fire..

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by The Bad Guy, Feb 14, 2006.

1. The Bad Guy

The Bad Guy New Member

May 28, 2003

Advertisements

Thankfully, I was home or this could have been a major problem.

Last night, around 9ish, the refurb I recieved started sparking in the back. Apparently, the power source inside was shorting out and it started a small fire in the unit. Luckilly, I noticed (and heard) right away and put it out.

Shouldn't DTV really triple check these things before shipment?

Good lord.

2. rigs49

rigs49 Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Total chaos, WTF, hey Bad Guy im curious to know if you called Directv and what they said. I sure am glad I did not get a refurby.

3. The Bad Guy

The Bad Guy New Member

May 28, 2003
    CSR: "Oh that's unforatunte."

Me: "Well, unfortunate would have been if I wasn't home."

CSR: "Yeah, you would have had problems."

ME: "Actually DirecTV would have as well because if my house caught on fire because of a falty refurbished TIVO, you would have been hearing from me - numerous times. What can you do to make up for this problem?

CSR: "Well, we can offer you three months of HBO and send out another refurb."

I can't believe they would offer me another refurb after the first one caught on fire. I told them to send me a new R10 or it's going back to them.

If I do get something other than an R10, I'll try to trade with someone on here.

4. Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    Is there such a thing as a new R10 any longer?

I personally would not be settling for 3 months of HBO.

5. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland

Advertisements

More like three months in the carribean at a five star hotel. You did go to a doctor about that smoke inhalation didn't you? Those electrical parts emit noxious gasses when they burn.

6. The Bad Guy

The Bad Guy New Member

May 28, 2003
    I talked to retention and that's the best they said they would do for me, I called ********, but it was late and I was in no position to argue. I may call back tonight to follow-up.

They said the R10 would be one that was never used. I don't know how "new" it will be, but we'll see.

7. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    It's unlikely that your house would have caught fire and burned down from this. Usually something like this goes poof inside and goes out by itself.

How bad was it ? Did you have to use a fire extinguisher ?

8. The Bad Guy

The Bad Guy New Member

May 28, 2003
    Fire extinguisher. I

Since my house burned down as a kid, I wasn't messing around.

It's possible. The Tivo was on a desk and about 2 inches from the vent on the outside there were about a stack of 200 papers that my fiance had to go through for her class.

Regardless, stuff like that shouldn't happen.

9. Didlysquat

Didlysquat New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Tennessee
    I ordered and received a new R10 about a month ago.

10. wa6tkq

wa6tkq New Member

Dec 7, 2002
    My refurbished Hughes HDVR2 was randomly rebooting so I called directv and they just shipped me a R10 with no shipping charges. It looks new but the refurbished Hughes looked new also.

11. MikeF

MikeF New Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Falcon, CO
    Just curious, but how do they handle this? Do you have to ship your HDVR2 back to them?

12. Giorgio

Giorgio New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    You can get a new one at retailers with the $100 rebate and they(DTV) will send u a check.
    This is a real serious problem with fans in the unit.
    Think that offer ends 2/28/06.
    What if u were not home, most people do not have sprinklers!
    The smoke alone would kill your pets.
    Move this problem to adminstration for a better solution.

Thank you for that post.

13. wa6tkq

wa6tkq New Member

Dec 7, 2002
    The CSR I talked to said the HDVR2 was an old model so there was no point in returning it. He also said I was better off getting a Tivo software model instead of a Directv software model.

14. dudester

dudester New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    customer retention didn't want to do anything for me either. though in your case the liability of DTV would not only be for the unit, but also, for your home.

15. The Bad Guy

The Bad Guy New Member

May 28, 2003
    Well, I received my wish - an unused R10. They even threw in 2 months of Skinemax and the Sports pack on top of the 3 months of HBO.

I'm not satisfied by any means, but it seems that's all they will do.

Since there wasn't any damage besides the DVR40, it's tough to pull their leg too much.

16. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    You should handle it on your own. Buy a new hard drive.

17. ClayMan

ClayMan love me some Logo!

Mar 20, 2004
    Virginia
    Well as i've found out in the last month that i've been w/ DirecTv ... you may as well be talking to a wall! I have their R15 and it's full of glitches...so I went out and bought the R10 (yes there are a few still out there in stores -this one was at walmart). I have the R10 in one room and the R15 in the other. I missed Tivo and the ease of using it..so I was so happy to have it. I bought it on Thursday (16th of Feb) and TONIGHT i heard a CLICKING noise coming from the unit... so i ran in and the picture was frozen. It continued to click and i hit "reset" and then it popped up w/ the "WELCOME" screen and nothing else. I called Directv and they said it sounds like a bad hard drive, so they suggested that i send it in for a refurb, and i was like ummm NO. So, I took it back to Wal-Mart and got another.. so far so good. I've not had good luck since i signed my life away w/ DirecTv. Also, on Thursday when i called to activate the R10 they said , "oh by the way, your contract starts over from this day".. i was like WTFFFFFFF. I was so pissed...and they said i'm sorry that's our policy. I spoke to a superviser and I told her my problems..and she said "well you chose to buy another DVR". That sent me through the roof...and i told her well if you had a DVR w/o bugs and glitches i wouldn't have to run out and buy one that i can actually COUNT ON! Again, like talking to a wall...so i'm like whatever.. i'm hoping for the best. I'm glad now that i didn't opt for a refurb after reading THIS!