1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Refurb Bolt 500GB - V312 Error when loading Apps / Can't Downgrade Hydra

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by matt314159, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Aug 2, 2018 #1 of 25
    matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Hey Folks I thought I might make my own thread about this, although I did just recently reply to the other big V312 thread.

I took advantage of the $99 All In upgrade opportunity and finally put my old Premiere XL4 out to pasture.

Got the 500GB Bolt through the outlet site, so it's a refurb.

Software Version: 12.8.2.RC1-USC-11-849

Symptoms I've noticed are that every app I try gives the error that says, "Netflix is loading onto the TiVo box. Please wait a moment and try starting Netflix again. (v312)" Substitute "Netflix" for whatever app name I"m trying to load.

Additionally, I cannot downgrade from the Hydra / User Experience 4 interface. After the ThumbsDown, ThumbsDown, <<, <<, the screen just flashes and takes you back to the last screen. The other thread said this makes sense since the Downgrade is basically an app.

I have tried everything I can think of. Rebooting, Restarting, power-cycling, connecting to the tivo service repeatedly, I've connected it to a different Network thinking my Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite might be messing with some necessary ports or something, and I've done the clear and delete everything process three times now. Nothing seems to make a dang bit of difference.

I really feel like this is a software issue and not hardware and thus would like to fix it myself if possible. Is there ANYTHING else I should try? Or is the accepted solution to this that you just have to deal with Tivo Support (including playing through the script of re-trying everything you've already tried for their benefit) and just RMA the box?

I'd really appreciate any info you can give me about this. I'll watch this thread and set notifications so I can make sure to get you quick responses.

Thanks in advance!

2. Aug 3, 2018 #2 of 25
    matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    I did a support chat with a TiVo representative today and he said it's a known issue, with no ETA, and that it's a software not a hardware issue. I pointed out my concern that I've seen threads on here referencing the error since 2016 and he said it's been happening "off and on" for quite some time.

This is rather concerning.

I manage a computer help desk, by the way, and am comfortable and well versed in laptop surgeries and that kind of thing - so if there's a solution that involves removing my TiVo's drive and re-imaging it with a different software version or anything like that, I'm game to try it.

3. Aug 3, 2018 #3 of 25
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Have you tried to put the remote into IR mode (TiVo +"C") then rollback? Sometimes that works.

4. Aug 3, 2018 #4 of 25
    matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Yep and I did one better and used a different IR-only remote as well.

rdrrepair likes this.
  5. Aug 5, 2018 #5 of 25
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I think I'd get a replacement for it since you just bought it and it's not working.

Scott

tvmaster2 likes this.
  6. Aug 6, 2018 #6 of 25
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  7. Aug 6, 2018 #7 of 25
    matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Thanks, I ran across that last night and updated my support ticket just in case that helps spur them along toward the solution. I've been doing a connect to TiVo service a couple times a day since I opened the ticket hoping they push some kind of fix, though this makes it look like it's nothing that even needs to get pushed to my side. Crazy that of the two units I bought, one is fine and one was V312 all day long. And that this issue has been happening off and on for the better part of THREE YEARS now...

One app that seems to work at first is IFTTT but I think that is just bringing up a webpage. But the IFTTT triggers don't work for like auto skip-mode advancing to the next segment, so even that seems to be broken.

8. Aug 6, 2018 #8 of 25
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Try using the kickstart code 76543210 and then try the downgrade.

9. Aug 6, 2018 #9 of 25
    matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Trying that now, thanks. From the bit of quick cursory reading I've done, this is the "retailer reset" code - is that significantly different from the clear and delete everything option? it seems to be taking longer, so that seems to indicate it is. Almost felt like a full format.

10. matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Alas, it was all for naught. Downgrade process still just flashes the screen briefly and then returns to the previous screen the moment I hit the << the second time, and each app still just throws v312.

It really does seem like it could be something server-side that's blocking this from working properly. I sort of doubt the STB itself is bad in a hardware sort of way...

11. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Try serving it a different DNS server through your network and force it to connect to the TiVo service. Reboot and see if it will work.

12. matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    I'll try that when I get home tonight. I have OpenDNS set on my network at home which consists of a Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite that feeds a 16-port netgear gigabit dumb switch, that feeds a little 5 port gigabit TP-Link switch I have in my media rack.

Two related things I have done is 1) With permission, connected the TiVo wirelessly to my next door neighbor's network, did two connections to tivo service and rebooted, 2) set up my AT&T MiFi Hotspot and connected twice to the tivo service through that and rebooted, and the results were the same.

Also I'm going to grab a long network cable from work today (I manage a help desk) and just plug the thing straight into my modem next.

13. matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    I chatted with an agent this morning to see if there was a status update of any kind and this was the response:

I'll try the DNS change and ethernet direct-to-modem tonight to rule out my network once and for all (though I think I sort of already did, this will cinch it) and then I guess just wait a little while longer before trying to RMA it.

14. matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Got home today and before I tried anything else I connected to TiVo service and tried again.

And it WORKS!

[​IMG]

So if anybody else runs into this issue, I'd say open a ticket with TiVo and wait. :)

CaseyJ likes this.
  15. Katobar

Katobar New Member

Jul 29, 2018

16. Katobar

Katobar New Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Now I’m depressed. I have the exact same problem and have been calling tivo for about a month. Mine still doesn’t work.

17. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Can you downgrade the UI?

18. matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Yep the magic button sequence now flashes the screen and goes into the downgrade menu. Funny thing happened though - I decided I don't need to downgrade right now. I'm going to give it a few days and then maybe stick with Hydra.

19. matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Sorry Katobar, I'm not sure what to say. I guess at least be assured the problem is fixable without RMA'ing the unit and maybe also chat with TiVo and see if it can be escalated?

20. Katobar

Katobar New Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tried that again. They are sending a new unit.