Reformatted My DVR expander

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mfrns0123, Feb 23, 2010.

1. mfrns0123

mfrns0123 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago

Advertisements

Not too long ago I had reformatted my Tivo DVR expander to use as a back up drive on my computer. Can I use this drive to put back on my Tivo HD if I just erase all the data? Thanks, Mike

2. pdonoghu

pdonoghu Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Upper...
    When you connect it back to the Tivo, the Tivo will recognize it and format it for use on the Tivo. No need to clear the data off first.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Not if its been re-formatted, I doubt it will work.

4. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    Even if you delete and repartition (but not reformat) at the PC?

Windows also has a tendency to write its own signature in the MBR of the disk, which has been known to cause problems when the disk is used by non Windows devices.

5. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

Advertisements

Under Computer management go to disk drives pick out the drive you want to put back into your TiVo and delete the partition, this will get the job done but don't pick the incorrect drive as you will remove all the data from that drive, Windows will not see it anymore using the Windows Explorer.

6. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    To answer the OP, yes, you connect it to your TiVo and use it as an external expansion.

It doesn't matter what format you have on the My DVD expander. Or if you delete whatever is on it. When you connect it to the TiVo, the TiVo will reformat it.

So plug it in and have fun. Remember to unplug the TiVo from power first, then turn on the DVD expander, connect it to the TiVo, then turn on the TiVo.

Good luck,
    robomeister

7. pdonoghu

pdonoghu Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Upper...
    Which is what I said in the first response before the self proclaimed experts waded in. :)

8. mfrns0123

mfrns0123 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago
    Thanks for all your responses, I'll give it a shot a hook it up and see what happens.

9. mfrns0123

mfrns0123 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago
    Just wanted to update. I deleted the partition, hooked it up and everything works great. Thanks for the info... Mike

10. tamon77

tamon77 New Member

Feb 3, 2008
    What steps did you do to reformat your drive for Windows?

11. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The same steps you would use to format any new unformatted or "alternate OS formatted" drive in Windows via the Disk Management console.