Red Screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by programmer, Dec 1, 2011.

1. programmer

programmer New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    I had to reboot my tivo series 2 after it had locked up. Upon reboot, it indicated that the tivo had not connected to the tivo service in over thirty days, which I connected to tivo service 2 weeks ago due to an unplugged network cable.
    It attempted to connect to Tivo, and then a red screen appeared that a severe problem was encountered and that it will attempt to fix the problem. If it did not reboot within 3hrs, to call customer service.

Has ANYONE experienced this problem? Was there a solution? I really do not want to replace the unit since it has many shows on it that my wife really wants to watch. My wife is handicapped and uses the Tivo to keep her mind off of her health problems.

Any assistance will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Did you let it keep running?

If so, what happened?

I've seen that screen before, except it was green, not red.

As a matter of fact it's commonly referred to as a GSOD (Green Screen Of Death, a reference back to the Windows "Blue Screen of Death", or BSOD)

I may know a trick or two to try.

What's the model number of your TiVo?

It should be on the sticker on the back where the power cord plugs in and if it's a TiVo brand TiVo it should start with TCD. If it's a Humax, Pioneer, or Toshiba, maybe not.

Do you have a computer running Windows that has an IDE/PATA controller 40pin header on the motherboard, and is it a GigaByte brand motherboard or some other brand?

Do you have any spare hard drives lying around?

Do you have a cd burner?

3. programmer

programmer New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Model Number is TCD540140.

Yes, I have a windows system (windows 7) as well as a Linux box.

This box has been upgraded with a 2TB HD, which I configured from the previous drive.

The system did repair itself, but it keeps rebooting (every few hours) and fails at loading the guide data (and whatever else is downloaded when it connects to the Tivo service.

Is this the HD failing?

Thank you for replying. I do appreciate it.

4. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You're running a single 2TB drive (which adapter did you use?) as opposed to 2 1TB drives? In a single tuner 540?

You aren't getting all 2TB out of that, are you?

Did you use WinMFS or MFS Live to do the upgrade?

5. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    As unitron says, the IDE to SATA adapter is critical. I had one that appeared to work in an S2 box but then it would reset every so often. Got one of the ones with the recommended chip set and all worked well.

6. programmer

programmer New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    I guess I can type very well. It must be a 1TB HD.

7. programmer

programmer New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Do you have any 'tricks'?

8. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I guess you meant you can't type very well.:)

Now me, I rarely mis-spell words, but my keyboard is horribly dyslexic.:D

Okay, you've got a 1TB drive in there, do you remember the brand and model, and possibly even more important, do you remember the brand and model of SATA/IDE adapter you used?

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I try to help those who try to help me help them.

My first trick is to make sure I have all the information I need before I decide which tricks to use.

I'll tell you this much now.

Possibilities are that if the 1TB drive is a WD Caviar Green it needs intellipark disabled.

You need to get the manufacturer's diagnostic software from whoever the manufacturer of that 1TB drive is so that you can run their long test to be sure nothing's wrong with the drive, or find out for sure that something is.

You need to learn how to spot bad electrolytic capacitors in the power supply, so that we can determine if that's a problem or not.

Flaky or marginal power supplies can cause all sorts of strange symptoms, including some which mimic problems with other components.

A good example is the DirecTiVo satellite receivers where one tuner worked and one didn't.

A number of people had that problem but it turned out the tuners themselves were both fine, it was a bad cap in the power supply, even though the cap was on an output that was common to both tuners.

See what I had to say here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8824368#post8824368

and here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8838063#post8838063

about spotting bad capacitors in the power supply.

At some point we might try some of the things that WinMFS can do for us, but I want to proceed methodically here so as not to blindly rush in and possibly make things worse.